Sunday, November 6, 2005

There but for the Grace of God

           

Today is Sunday and day 6 of the November Challenge.  I'm just getting warmed up here, guys.  I have a lot to be grateful for. 

I am grateful for my sobriety.  I have been sober for nearly 30 years.  I don't need to go into what it was like for me then.  I'm just so grateful it is in the past.

Yesterday at work, a woman I'll call Sue came in.  She has her items stored there and her son has been troublesome for us, so we told her that she was the only one allowed in and that we didn't want him on the property.  Well, the son drove her to the stoarge yard and her niece got out of the car with her.  She could barely stand up!  There was no way she would get into her locker without assistance.  They came into the office to ask permission for entry.  I stuck to my guns and told them that the son had to park across the street, but that the niece could help her.  Sue's eyes were crossed, she had a cup of deli coffee in her hands and was drinking through two stir sticks.  A honey bun was in her other hand and frosting on her face.  I opened the gate for them and offered them a ride on the cart.  Her niece declined.  She was afraid Sue would fall off.  The walked and stumbled and I went to take the lock off of her unit. 

As I was going back to the office, Sue waved thanks to me, dropping her coffee and honey bun in the process.  I know the look she gave me.  I have given it to others in the day.  Her niece said not to worry, they would get more.  I have been her in the past.  As I drove back, I had tears in my eyes.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I.  Thank you Lord, for my sobriety.

Be blessed today,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny I want to partcipate now that I have more time.  What a accomplishment...I never drank but smoked and gave that up.
Betty

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Vivi Award! Well done, and well-deserved!

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

THERE IS A SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS WE MUST DIE TO LIVE...EVERTIME I DIE TO MYSELF I FEEL HIS POWER COURSING MY VEINS. IF MS. HONEYBUN ONLY KNEW...WHEN WE ARE FREE OF TIME CONSUMING ADDICTIONS, OUR LIFE SUDDENLY BECOMES FULL AND REWARDING... NOT AN EMPTY WASTELAND. cMp

Anonymous said...

Congrats!  Well deserved!!
d

Anonymous said...

Ok so I owe you 4 greatfuls, I was out of town and didn't have time to send them to you!!

Thurs-I'm greatful for my home, a place for my family and I to come into out of the cold and rain. A place to feel comfortable and most importantly safe.

Friday-I'm greatful for the chance of getting to go on a retreat with our chapel and getting a little bit of respit for the next 3 days

Saturday-I'm greatful that even in the rain I can go out and find joy and laughter and have fun with friends and my oldest son, while my youngest is being taken care of in safety and happiness

Sunday-I'm greatful for a wonderful retreat and most of all the blessing of hearing my husband's voice on the phone with him in the middle east and us safe in Germany!

God Bless and thanks for doing this Penny!

Christy http://journals.aol.com/my3gifts/TalesfromtheFrontandtheonesleftB/

Anonymous said...

congratulations:) judi

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your win!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Penny...congrats! Love your graphics. God bless you!
~Penny

http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Thing I am grateful for on Sunday - That my sister made John and I the most beautiful wedding album that I have ever seen in my life.  We will always have something to remember our marriage by.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

The Pilgrim descendantss eventually killed off their Thanksgiving guests.