Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Reflections on Gratitiude

                                           

Today is day 16 of the November Challenge.  While many in J-Land seem to feel there is nothing to be thankful for, I find my self reflecting on my gratitude.  My life hasn't been the simple one that some of my age group seems to have had.  They graduated from high school and college, got married, had children and are spending their later years with the man they married back then.  Wow. 

I think of my sisters and their nearly 50 year marriages.  I've been married 4 years this time.  I was the black sheep of the family.  I didn't get into legal trouble, but I sure bolluxed up my life.  Or did I?

My experiences have made me the woman I am today.  They have given me the ability to work with moms in Mexico who had their lives all turned around.  I could relate to their problems.  I had been there.  Their children came to stay with us for a time while we worked on a solution to get the family back together.  Nearly every child that came into our home there was place back with loving parents or parent.  That's a blessing that God gave them and us.

I am grateful today that whatever mess I made of my young life has been helpful to me and to others in the here and now.  I am thankful to God for that blessing. 

So today, I do "Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory."

Be blessed today,

                                      

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I join with you in being thankful that "all things work together for good to them who love God".

Anonymous said...

I'M TRULY GRATFUL FOR YOU HON, THANK YOU LORD FOR SUCH A GREAT WIFE,............................LOV......ROB

Anonymous said...

p.s. I will be singing this song all day now!  :)

Anonymous said...

Penny~  My Mom used to come in my room every morning....rip open the window shades and start singing...RISE AND SHINE AND GIVE GOD THE GLORY!  I hated it then....for one...the sun came right in my eye...and two I wanted to sleep in. But now...it is a wonderful memory. Thank you for reminding me of it. I am thankful I had a Mom who was cherry in the morning when I wasn't and who taught me to love Jesus!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful entry Penny!  We all have something to be thankful for if we just look.
Hugs,
Lisa

PS I got my save button working after much trial and error, but am most thankful that it is fixed and I can now journal again.  Yay!  Posted directions in my journal if anyone wants to try this idea who is having trouble saving.  It really worked.

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/  

Anonymous said...

Today I am thankful that I have my health.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SomeitmesIThink

Anonymous said...

Today I am thankful for today!
Celeste

Anonymous said...

   Penny, I had to comment on this entry.  Although I am still married to my high school sweetheart, the road we have travelled hasn't been an easy one.  We have had more than our share of 'stuff', and there were times that I looked around at what my friends had, and was so envious of their seemingly easy lives.  NOTHING came easily to us, I'm afraid, and yet those really tough times are the ones that gave me the ability to relate and to sympathize with others who haven't had it so easy.  Yes, even our trials are gifts, if they teach us how to treat others with compassion.  Thanks for reminding me of this .... THAT'S the thing I am grateful for today!! Tina

Anonymous said...

Penny, you are who you are because of what you went thru. I think i am very much like you. Made so many mistakes but without those mistakes who would i be? Its the learning from the mistakes that matter the most.
I love you always, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Penny,
Sometimes we experience certain events so we can take that experience to connect with and help another.  As for the black sheep feeling, I know it well.   Used to, anyway, but no more.

Life should be lived and enjoyed.  And today I am grateful...
Dona

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny.  Sounds like you have come a long way in life...that is what matters.  The fact that you turned things around.  Kudos to you for all that and all the help you have given others!

Holly :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Penny, I hadn't seen or heard that song "rise and shine" in a bit; brought back great memories!

Today I'm thankful for my church; my pastor, the people who volunteer and serve so we can lead others to the Lord.

Have a blessed day :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow Penny wonderful post.  To look back at your life in such a uplifting way recognizing the blessings and being so aware of your part in so many other peoples lives just goes to show that IT TRULY IS ALL ABOUT THE GOD (GOOD) in us isn't it.  The experiences we are brought to really aren't just ALL ABOUT US, are they?  So much involved that all we can do is just accept what life brings us and do our best with it.   I was going to post something I am personally grateful for today, but know what - I am grateful for you Penny and for you willingness to share your bright light with others.  I love sunrises and you are my sunshine today.  Blessing to you.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry