Friday, November 18, 2005

FIRE!!

                    

I do love the fall season.  It's still warm enough most of the time here in California and the rains haven't begun to hit yet.  The sky is beautiful.  We've had Santa Ana winds this week but other than a few messes, there haven't been too many problems.  Until about 3 am this morning.  The hillside directly opposite our house is on fire.  News choppers are flying all around and the water dropping planes and choppers have been coming in since sunup.  It likely won't get near our house, but there are oil fields over there which could be a problem.  I'm going to work, so if there's a problem, Rob will have to protect the dog and birds from the stench. 

I did something awful this morning!  I spilled coffee on my laptop!  What a mess.  I've been online with HP support for a while and know what I have to do to try to fix the problem from here.  If I can't, it's going to be a very costly cup of coffee :(

This is day 18 of the November Challenge.  Next Wednesday and early Thursday you will be seeing your gratitude land in your inbox.  I'm excited about this.  I can't wait to print up my own list and present it to my family on Thanksgiving.  I may just make a journal entry out of it as well. 

Today I am grateful for my family.  I have 3 sisters who live in various places.  I had the opportunity to be with them all for the first time in 40 years last year.  We took a picture together. I can't get into Hometown now to show the picture, but it was nice to see them all again.  I was born 8 years after the youngest of them and have always been the baby.  It's funny, when we all got together again, I was still the baby . . .the only one without gray hair!  I love them very much, but we are so far apart that we probably won't be able to do this again very soon if at all.  I am grateful for the love and patience they have shown me over the years.  Each one is my favorite in herown way.  My sister Sharon and I are both raising young children, Charlotte was my other "mama" when I was young and Sylvia is a holy roller just like me.  They are so special.  Sharon came to Mexico the year our mother and my husband died to keep me from having Thanksgiving alone.  It was the best present a sister could ever have.  I love you.

Be blessed today,

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the fire and the laptop.  Especially about the laptop.
Penny, I have to mention two things I am thankful for as I was in Hershey yesterday with John at the transplant appointment and didn't get a chance to say what I was thankful for yesterday.  One thankful thing for yesterday and one for today.
1.  That John will have a nonoblative transplant
2.  That Dr. Claxton is an oncologist with such good judgment

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for good friends, who are willing to watch my children (I watched hers 2 days in a row!)...so I can do a little Christmas shopping!
For good friends who even in the states manage to stay in touch because of this lovely contraption.
I've been blessed pretty well for as long as I can remember that I've always had at least a few good friends. I'm still in contact with friends from high school. I love those "girls" and always will and I'm thankful we still keep in contact. Even thought some of us have changed drastically, we still remember the girls we were and love them and love who each has become!

Christy
http://journals.aol.com/my3gifts/ChristysThoughts/

Anonymous said...

Exciting morning for you...but definitely the kind of excitement you can do without!!
I am thankful that my daughter knows the Lord.  
~Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

I saw the news of the fires down there on TV today.  It's always sad when fires and other disasters ruin people's homes.  Of course they can always be rebuilt but I always think about pictures and other things that can't be replaced.  Hopefully they will be out soon.  Sorry about the laptop....I know at work "the powers that be"  always get nervous when we are drinking and eating around our computers.