Monday, November 14, 2005

Precious Memories

                       

It's Monday and my day off.  Andrea and I had a mother-daughter breakfast this morning.  We went to a little place called Eggs 'n Things.  It's a cute, homey place.  they give you crepes with every breakfast.  We don't get very much time together because I'm always at work or exhausted.  This was very special for us. 

On the ride home, Andrea saw an owl flying and mentioned it.  That brought back some memories of Mexico.  We lived out in the country.  Way out in the country.  I suppose the roads might have been named, but until they were moved, we told people to go down the dirt road behind the mission for about 2 miles until they came to the cows, then make a right.  Then they moved the cows and we had to put up a sign.  Just after that right turn, we would go up a hill.  Cut into the side of the hill were many small holes.  They looked like squirrel warrens or snake holes.  One day, we saw a pair of eyes observing us as we passed.  An owl!  It was very tiny, but most definitely an owl.  After a few days, there were two sets of eyes.  The owls would hold deathly still, as if to melt into the white/brown clay there.  We would stop and stare, they would stare, not blinking.  Shouts of "buho! buho! (boo-oh)" were heard from the kids.  It was often the highlight of our day.  Sometimes only one owl would be there.  We'd see the other nearby on a small branch watching us . . .making sure we didn't get too close.  We learned from the Internet that these were Pygmy Owls, indigenous to desert areas as in Mexico and Arizona.  We were excited to watch what was happening.  After some time, we looked up and saw 3 tiny sets of eyes peering out from the rocky place!  The parent birds were trying to get our van to pass more quickly by flying back and forth in front of us.  This only excited the kids further.  We felt they were our pets, in a way.  A little discovery in the side of the road just for our pleasure. 

That time is gone now,and the owls with it, but we have a precious memory to savor every time we unlock it.  Today I am grateful for precious memories. If you haven't joined us for the November Challenge, I invite you today.  It's not too late to be grateful.

Be blessed in Him today,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that I've gotten over the cold that kept me coughing for the past week.

Anonymous said...

I am grateful that I have a home to live in.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful for the gift of sight, the world is such a beautiful place. Jeannette.  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful to be alive and sharing my friends memories with them, like this one you just wrote about, Penny ... Tina

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story about the owls; I've only seen one owl (that I can remember); it was a white/brown one; saw it one night many years ago when my then fiancee (and later husband) was taking me home from a late date.

Today I'm thankful for my husband who always puts up with me, no matter how crazy I can be at times.

betty