Thursday, July 21, 2005

Why I Keep a Journal

I'm going to try this for Judith's Artsy Essay contest. 

WHY I KEEP A JOURNAL

I started this AOL journey last September.  I got a free trial of AOL and decided to make the best of it.  My son John has a journal here.  I would like to think he got his talent from me. 

Keeping a journal is my way of sharing my thoughts and ideas with myself.  You can come along for the ride.  I actually love it when someone makes a comment, but it's really all for me.  I think of it as a leisurely stretch, sort of like a cat; legs in front, back arched, eyes closed in some unknown delight and a soft purr in my throat.  Often the words come before I have a chance really to think them out.  That's journalling.

There's so much I want to put in words so that I won't forget.  It seems the older I get, the more often my thoughts fade away.  I'll find myself grabbing a paper if the computer isn't right with me. I'm not too fond of paper.  I've been typing since I was four years old and writing stories and poetry since nearly that time.  Oh!  How my mind wanders!  There are poems in my head.  The story of my life.  I want to pass it on to my kids and grandkids to do with as they will.  In the meantime, maybe I'll have some fun sharing with others as well.

I have the feeling that my journal actually keeps me.  It keeps me sane.  It keeps me current.  Mostly, it keeps me at peace with myself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice thoughts.

Anonymous said...

When I first started my online journal I actually started carrying around a little notepad to jot things down that I wanted to include in my journal when I had time to get to the computer.  After a while I actually started LOOKING for things to write about in my journal, thats how bad I was!  Now days I just sit infront of my little buddy Dell in the morning or at the end of the day and talk to him through my keyboard, telling him about my day, or in some cases, about my past.  Its fun though, and sitting here writing my journal, and reading others, like yours, is an important part of my daily routine.

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!  I'm so glad that you are really getting something FROM J-land and we enjoy reading and getting to know you!

Stop over sometime!
http://journals.aol.com/ccancu/CEEGEEATLARGE

Anonymous said...

very nicely said, and I am so glad to meet you. judi

Anonymous said...

I like it -- well done!  We are glad you share so openly and honestly... I love to read your journals!

~Miss O

Anonymous said...

I love your essay & your journal!  Well done!  I agree- journaling keeps me sane too!  You always have interesting things to say in your journal and a beautiful outlook on life Penny!  What a blessing you have been to me! : )    
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Of course he got his talent from you!  Way to go!  Good luck!  Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love your entry!  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

We all know where John got his talent.