Sunday, July 24, 2005

Easy - Like Sunday Morning #16

From Pixiedustnme :

"Did you read the latest Harry Potter novel yet?  Have you read any of them?  Have you seen any of the movies?" 

I never have ready any of them.  I actually don't intend to.  I have a problem with witchcraft, spells, etc.  I wouldn't watch the movies either. 

There are so many good, quality books out there that I just don't think it's necessary for me to step beyond what I believe.  I used to love books like this . . .the more strange things, the better.  The writers always had  tremendous imaginations.  As I read, I walked farther and farther away from God.

I worry about opening the door to these beliefs in my daughter.  Witchcraft isn't cute, it's dangerous.  I want her looking to God for her answers.  She's at an impressionable age.  There's other stuff we don't get into as well. We don't watch violent movies or those with plenty of sex or foul language.  Real life has enough of this.  I know it seems boring not to do so, but we're not bored at all.

My personal last good book to read?  Other than the Bible? I read a series of books about two young girls in the south after the end of the civil war.  Then I read the Orphan Train series - very predictable books, but basically good stories. 

Okay guys - there you have it.  Harry Potter isn't allowed reading in our house.  You are welcome to comment, but remember this - I didn't tell you that YOU couldn't read and enjoy.  Most of you are old enough to make up your own mind about this sort of stuff and wouldn't want me interfering anyway.

Blessings to all, I'm off to see Andrea get baptized this morning. 

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, they aren't accepted reading in our house either.  I have had a long and hard history of my own with things best left alone and I do NOT want my children to have to go through what I did!  

Kudo's to you!  Glad I'm not the ONLY one on the face of the planet who feels this way.

Congrats to Andrea!  
<<HUGS>>
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

She's getting baptized!  That's great! WTG Andrea!

The "to read Harry Potter or not to read" was a big choice at our house.  There was a large "to do" back in 2000 when our old school (Christian Reformed) decided that they would not purchase these books for the library.  I had already read the books and loved them .... but are they OK for my child?  I finally based my decision on the fact that at their heart these books are about good triumphing over evil.  It has been a good discussion tool opening the door to many talks about "yes, there really is evil in this world, and our only protection is love"  Christ gave his life for us so that we could live, and Harry's mother chose to give her life so that he could live.  The books refer to this as his "power" over and over and I think that is part of it's draw for me.  I absolutely see your choice not to allow these books in your home.  I know many people who do, and I applaud them for making good choices for their kids.  

Anonymous said...

I agree, there are so many evil influences in our world today already.  My kids are grown but my daughter & son-in-law have not allowed my grandkids to read the books or watch the movies.  In fact she screens all movies before allowing their 14yr old & 13 yr old to view them.  There are so many good books out there for kids, books by Christian authors and what's with Nancy Drew, Box Car Children and the Hardy Boys to name a few?   Baptism...an experience she'll never forget...how wonderful !

Anonymous said...

It surprised me how many people have commented to me since the new HP book came out that they wont allow their children to read it. I understand why and respect that. Everyone has a right to feel differently about anything. I have never read any of them. I have grown friends in their 50's obsessed with the HP books. Megan has all of the books except the new one that was a present one year and she has never opened one of them. I should donate them. Love you, lj

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I guess I never thought of it this way. I always think of HP, etc. as more of a fantasy/imagination sort of thing. Not as it promoting such beliefs. But then again, you never know how impressionable young minds my look at it either. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

I'm with Penny on this one.
Lisa