Saturday, July 9, 2005

Dogs and a Soap Box

In less than a year, we've tried twice to get ourselves a dog or dogs.  Rob hasn't been extemely excited about this, but even with Dufus, the greatest and most magical conure in the world, I miss having a dog.  For years now, I have always had at least one dog around.  The house seems somehow incomplete without one.  Anyway, we are trying again.  We were on our way to Sears to pick up our washing machine when I saw that the Pet Barn had dog adoptions going on.  I told Rob I wanted to stop on the way back.  He said no.  I got my way. 

The resucuers there today were those that rescue Greyhounds from the race tracks.  A couple of years ago, I read about this on the internet, but being in Mexico, it didn't seem to feasible for us to try.  As we walked up, this golden dog looked up at me and it was all over but the shouting.  He has the most beautiful face!  It looks like he's wearing eye make-up.  He's very gentle and loving.  Just what we need for Andrea.  He really took to her.  We got some information and filled out an adoption request for him.  His name is Sammy.  The lady will call us tomorrow and set up an appointment for a home visit and if all goes well, he will be ours.  I've had my hopes up twice now and it hasn't come to pass.  Maybe the 3rd time is the charm.

I've been silent this week about the goings on in the world.  It's hard for me to talk about it.  I've been praying steadily for the victims in London and their families .  Truth is, I'm angry about it.  Why do we let these people hurt us in this way?  Terrorists attack the two strongest powers in the world and we are supposed to treat those idiots with kid gloves!  What about the rights of those who were attacked?  Who is standing up for them?  There are people running around complaining about our president and their prime minister interfering in Iraq or Afghanistan and yet they aren't willing to put their money and strength where their loud mouths are and protect the rights of people in their own country.  I'm sick of it.  I think we should go after the terrorists and blow their butts off the face of the earth!  I am a peace loving woman, but I'm fed up with babying these criminals.  I don't want us to be a doormat for crazies anymore.  Give back to them what they are giving out and take back our countriesbefore its too late.

OK - off that soap box and on to one more.  About 20 years ago, I worked for a woman who took me to a business seminar.  The things they taught seemed solid and workable and they offered me more classes.  Well, I knew I couldn't afford it, so I said this was enough, but they said my boss had already paid for it.  I went again and again, both with my boss and without her.  Soon enough, things got "different"  They were giving us "counselling" that they called auditing. They gave us books written by a man named L.Ron Hubbard.  I kind of freaked.  When did the business course cross over the line into this cult?  I don't know, but I will tell you, I wanted no more.  I went to my boss and told her she could fire me if she wanted to, but I wanted out of Scientology then and there.  Let me tell you - they were ticked!  They called me, they called her - she had decided to quit as well.  They called me at work and at home.  They tried to convince me that they cared for me and didn't want to lose my friendship (count that - potential money).  I moved and got an unlisted number.  I changed jobs and got ready to get married again.  Then one night, the scientologist called. He had my unlisted number.  I gotta tell you I was a little scared.  My friend Citte's husband said that he had counseled people who had left scientology and many never were able to get out.  He said I was lucky.  Luck had not all that much to do with it . . .I belong to Jesus.

The reason I bring all this up is because of all the talk by Tom Cruise and others.  Those guys are flat dangerous. I spent nearly a year of my life drawn bit by bit into the spider's web and I know.  I spent nearly 3 years trying to get away from those creeps.  Those of us who know the truth about scientology need to stand up and be counted.  I am and will always be a Christian.  I don't say that you have to be, but for heaven's sake watch out for the crazies out there.  They are looking for easy marks.  Scientology isn't the only group out there targeting your brains, but they are out to suck the life out of you and make you "clear" of emotion - the very thing that makes us human.

My favorite saying:  If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.  Stand UP!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you get the dog you want.  Yes, that scientology stuff is creepy.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

ooo i hope sooo much u get this doggie...i will look for an update on how it went ok

Anonymous said...

Hope that you get Sammy.  I am against cults of any sort and I cannot understand why so many celebs are into scientology.

Anonymous said...

Penny, i sure hope you get Sammy!!!!!!!!!!!  If so, please add the pics! Tom Cruise makes me want to puke. When he went on TV and degraded Brooke Shields that was all it took for me. You and i both know depression is so real and if this clown thinks he knows more than doctors or even those of us who have to suffer from it, he is a clueless ASS. I cant stand him. I am so glad you got out of that cult. I dont understand how people can worship some Sci-Fi writer. Who is he? No one.
Love you, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

I do hope you get Sammy.  Greyhounds are such gentle dogs.  I really like them and thought about getting one when Hannah died, but the one we saw in kennels was already taken.  I agree with what you say about Scientology. We have quite a few of them near us and I`ve been approached several times.  I just ignore them and walk away.  

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

The likes of Tom Cruise are a menace to society. Who does he think he is  anyhow?  Apart from being able to act the goat, he's a complete ape.
Hope you get your greyhound, my friend, who lives in Devon, does voluntary work for Greyhound Rescue over here, and has one herself. Take care.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about scientology but while growing up we were in a cult cloaked under the guise of a church.  People have to beware.  If you don't know what you believe you better find out before someone else tries to tell you!
http://journals.aol.com/missboogerhead/MissOsSoapbox/entries/521
~Miss O