Saturday, December 31, 2005

Ending the year on a high note

                 

This is my second New Year as a member of J-Land.  Funny, but I don't remember much about last year's end of year.  I know we watched the ball drop in New York - 9 pm here - and fell asleep early.  I think we may have awakened to kiss each other for the New Year, but I'm not sure.

This year may not be much different.  Andrea and Amanda have gone off to an overnight church party and won't be home until 7 am tomorrow.  Rob and I are alone for the night!!!  This doesn't happen too much around here, let me tell you.  I brought home beautiful steaks which we grilled on the George Foreman and we had a yummy final meal of 2005. 

After dinner, I slipped into a luxurious bubble bath.  I will never ever get tired of slipping into hot water and bubbles and scrubbing myself after a nice soak.  Then I stand up and rinse with fresh hot water and wrap myself in a terry robe.  It's almost heaven.  Rob even came in and scrubbed my back. 

Rob is watching the Raiders/Giants game and there are 4 hours left of the year here on the west coast.  It was rainy and dreary most of the day, but the sun came out about 4 o'clock and the roads were nearly dry when I left work at six.  I have two days off now.  I worked hard both yesterday and today to prepare for year-end.  I can go back on Tuesday with confidence that my part is done well. 

I don't get excited over New Year's like I did when I was young.  Even before I quit drinking, I had stopped going out because there were just so many drunks on the road.  We called it "amateur nite" after those who never drank until New Year and then drank too much and got on the road.  Still happens.  I heard a story about a young girl in this area who 2 years ago decided to be a good samaritan and give rides to drinkers.  One of them killed her for her kindness.  What kind of world is that?

I know that there are many more wonderful people than awful ones in this world.  It's just that the terrible ones tend to make all the noise.  Wouldn't it be cool if we had a TV or Radio or Internet News station that only shared good news?  I guess they wouldn't make much money, but I would read or watch or listen to all of it. 

We have all had our ups and downs this year.  There were happy times and disappointing ones, but we've made through (almost) to 2006.  I have a lot of hope for this new year.  I don't want to wash away what was or is, I just see the opportunity for new beginnings.  I don't make resolutions.  Never have kept one.  That is one sure way to see myself as a failure.  Through it all, with the many different times of my life, I have failed a lot.  I have never, ever been a failure.

This is what I want to pass on to you as well.  We all fail.  We fail to live up to our expectations or those of others.  We miss a step.  We tell a lie.  We look the other way.  This doesn't make us failures.  It can't.  There is something in most of us that makes us recognize our shortcomings.  For me, it's my life with Christ.  For others, there may be another path.  I just think that those of us who recognize when we're on the ground, tail in the air and grab our bootstraps and stand up again . . . well . . . we are the winners.  We learn from it, get over it and grow on.  Even if those things still hurt, we grow on.  Never forget that. 

We are taking the winners into 2006 with hope and joy.  I pray that you all live, love, laugh and be happy this year.

Blessings to you all and . . . .

          

Much love,  Penny

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and yours

betty

Anonymous said...

Penny,  I don't think of my missteps as failures.  I believe that if I didn't continue to try that then I would be failing.  So I march on, doing my best, always trying to improve upon, enjoy and just be who I am.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Penny.  I will be clicking back and forth between the big celebration in Seattle and the one in New York which will be delayed for us here on the west coast.  In Seattle they shoot the fireworks off the Space Needle.  Just once, maybe next year...I'd like to be in a hotel room overlooking the Space Needle to watch the fireworks from that vantage point.  Being down in the crowds of people does not appeal to me at all.  God bless you and yours in the new year.  Linda in Washington State
http://journals.aol.com/lsfp1960/LindasWorld/

Anonymous said...

Many blessings to you and Rob this new year, Penny!

Penny?
Rob?

Wake up!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

Blessings to you al thiis new year numbers 6: 24 -26

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year ! May Many Blessings be Yours! hugs, natalie

Anonymous said...

So many drunks ruin others enjoyment. I prefer to stay in on new years eve too. I hope this new year will bring you health and happiness. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Great entry Penny, and Happy New Year.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

A very happy New Year to you Penny!:o)

hugs

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR Penny, & all in J-LAND!
I love the bubble bath, did you set a few candles around too? Yummy!
Yes, it's too bad all the bad hits the news, seldom do we hear the good.
But it's there, just have to look for it!
GOD BLESS ALL, & HAVE A BLESSED YEAR!
Rev. P.L. "Sugar" Lewis

Anonymous said...

I love the ending of this entry. I feel like nothing but a huge failure. All the time. I spend all that time trying to please and trying to keep it all together. Maybe someday i will have your wisdom and peace.
Love, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! God bless.....
Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Penny.  This was a beautiful entry.  Thank you!  Pennie

Anonymous said...

What you said about sinners applies also to the saints on this earth. They fall down, get back up, fall down, and get back up ... You are a saint if I've ever met one, Penny. Bea

Anonymous said...

You put it so well.  Great Journal. I saw your Journal on a list of someone I posted in and began to read yours. It's very good! Keep up the good work.


                                                   Your Fellow Journalist,

                                                         Marsha

Anonymous said...

Amen to that friend!