Saturday, December 10, 2005

Scooter the Love-Sick Dove

                                       

I've been wanting to tell you this story for a few days, but have not been feeling well enough to sit at the computer and write it down.  My poor back is making a very slow recovery.  I suspect changes in weather here are not helping.

As you know, we have 3 birds.  Dufus, of course is the Sun Conure and apparently my best friend.  I wrote a Christmas story about him for a weekend assignment last year.  He's a very special bird.  We also have a ring-necked dove that we've named Scooter and a handicapped pigeon we named Skeeter.  You've read how Hank saved Skeeter from the middle of the street and how she now has a permanently bent leg.

As soon as we placed Skeeter's cage near Scooter, the love calls began.  Scooter coo ed and swelled out his throat with such passion.     He would turn in the direction of Skeeter and coo his very best.  We decided to put Skeeter in the same cage to see what would happen. Scooter made immediate advances, which Skeeter spurned.  She's bigger than he is and let him know that he just wasn't her type.  To save Scooter's life, we separated them again.  Skeeter goes outside in a large cage during the day and comes in to a small cage next to Scooter at night. 

Scooter has not given up his suit.  He turns to face Skeeter and sings his love-sick song to her.  Just before we take her outside each day, we lift the cage off of her and let her walk around the house a bit.  Scooter turns where ever she is.  Their cages are on the hearth of our fireplace.  One morning, Skeeter walked into the fireplace (we don't use it!) and Scooter sang to her.  Rob picked her up and took her outside.  Scooter, however, sang to the fireplace all day long!  These birds are in need of help!  Skeeter has no friends and Scooter needs a wife.

 I've taken to looking in the want ads to see if anyone has another dove or handicapped pigeon they want to get rid of.  I don't know how long Scooter can take this unrequited love.  Skeeter doesn't care.  She just wants to eat and drink.

Today is day 10 of the December Challenge.  We are making new traditions here at the Perez household.  Robert like nutcrackers and we found a few small ones to place around the living room.  They look great.  He saw a larger one at the market, but I tried to discourage him because of cost.  Yesterday, he determined he wanted it bad enough to pay the price, so he had the young man take it down for him.  As it came down, the toes came loose!  The young man looked at Rob, Rob looked at the manager.  She said, "Well, you can always glue them." Rob frowned, she smiled and gave him a deal - "Okay, how's $6.99?" The nutcracker is home and his feet have healed!  We now have 6 nutcrackers here and are establishing our own traditions as a family.  Isn't that cool?  Our first Christmas in our own home as a family.  God has truly blessed us!

Are you making new traditions as well?  Let me know about them.  Blessings, Penny

                          

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are really getting into the spirit of Christmas! I haven't even put up my tree yet! I'm trying though. I've got the Christmas music on. I hope your back heals very soon. Take your time. Don't over do!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to write  the story. I have nutcrackers in my house a set of wizard of oz ones and one if the nutcracker. I have them in afew entries back.

Anonymous said...

Back problems are so restrictive.  I hope you recover soon.  I love the story of unrequited love.  LOL  Pennie

Anonymous said...

Hi There Back Problems..OUCH..I know I hurt mine years ago,And it has never been the same...I luv your journal..Take Care,Melodie


Anonymous said...

LOL ......I couldn't help but laugh at your poor crazy birds!  No new traditions around here.  -  Barbara
http://journals.aol.com/bhbner2him/LifeFaithinCaneyhead/entries/1770

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your back is slowly, but surely, recovering. What a wonderful find Rob had with the nutcracker. My SIL collects them.

We are making new traditions this year. We are going "home" for Christmas; something we haven't done in eight years. So we'll be celebrating our family Christmas a day before we leave and three days before the official Christmas date. We'll go to our church's Candlelight Service (its such a big church, they have to have services over 2-3 days to accommodate everyone) and then we'll come back here and munch on goodies and open our presents. This year the Lord gave me a mentee, a wonderful young woman, 17 years old, who I've written about. She'll be joining our family that night. I'm looking forward to it. I'm so blessed.

betty

Anonymous said...

Awww!  The poor bird!  I feel so bad for Scooter!  As for new traditions, I've started my own this year with being in my own apartment--Christmas Eve, I'll go to mass with the family, open presents and then come back here and celebrate with Tinkerbelle.  It will be different, but I'm looking forward to it!  YAY to Rob for his new nutcracker!
Hugs,
Heather

Anonymous said...

just want to say good morning & hope your back recovers soon.
take care,
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

Poor Scooter!  We have those doves here in England but we call them collared doves.  They always visit my garden for the food I put out, they seem almost tame and don`t fly away unless Jake follows me into the garden.  They really don`t like the look of him...lol :o)

Sandra xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Ah poor little thing. As Sandra said, we have a lot of them here, I have got a pair that come to my garden, now they bring their babies and grandbabies because they know they will always be welcome here.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

You are so witty. One is in love and the other wants to drink. Sounds like a country song.
Love, lisa

Anonymous said...

Mom collects Nutcrackers. She has at least 30. Tiny, small, medium, large and one that is six foot and solid wood. Yep. She is geting another one. My sister got it. Oh joy.