Monday, March 28, 2005

Journal Jar - Question 1

Discribe your first job.  What did it pay? What were your duties?  What was your boss like?

My first job was at the Santa Anita Golf Course in the coffee shop.  The year was 1965.  The pay was $1.00 an hour plus tips.

I had to come in early and help the cook/boss to prepare the specials for the day.  Then as the golfers came in, I was the waitress.  There were only the two of us and a dishwasher, so I not only served, I cleared, cleaned and set the tables.  The golfers were obnoxious.  I was young - only 16 years old and they made the most disgusting suggestions to me.  I was a good waitress, but it was a tough job for me.

My boss was the cook/owner of the coffee shop.  He was pretty gruff and gave me the dirtiest jobs to see if I could cut it working there.  I didn't make it too long, because he didn't want to hear me complain about the nasty things the golfers said. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This wasn't fair to you. It's terrible what you had to go through. I've been there done that and know the feeling. They're not called waitresses now so it seems but "servers." My oldest daughter is the top "server" of a nice resturant here in town. I often wonder what she has to endure from customers if anything. I only hear her complain about the other employees. I guess it depends on where you work.

Anonymous said...

My very first job- babysitting.  I had to babysit forever to earn enough money to buy my very first purchase:  a typewriter.  I think I babysat for my pastor at my church actually.  I was about 13 years old and I think he was the youth pastor and had two or three active kids.  He and his wife were wonderful calm people.

My "real" first job was this three days of telemarketing.  I made about $ 75.00 selling tickets to the circus over the phone.  I hated the job and decided to apply to work in a fast food restaurant.  I won't even mention the name of it.  These were both awful job choices.  I ended up becoming the manager so then I  WAS the boss and only then did I ever even remotely like the job, just a teeny eeny ounce.  

I have never had a job I liked that well except when I was writing for my ministry and doing public speaking.  I do not like many jobs I've had and I've had many... too many.  I will mention that I enjoyed a little bit of the job placement consulting work I did for ten years.  I enjoyed it long enough to stay for a while.  I felt like I was really making a difference in people's lives in that job.  However, I don't like any other jobs I've had... the current one has as many bad points as it does good so there you have it... my career in a paragraph and sorry this is really more than you asked for.  LOL!  Wah- I just wanna be a mommy.  And a retired writer.

Anonymous said...

Eww, don't think I would like nasty things said to me.  Hmm... no, I don't think I would have like this job.  My first job was fast-food, Wendy's.  I liked it alot.  xox

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have liked that job either. -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink