Thursday, March 10, 2005

Happy Birthday, Ashleigh

Dearest Asheligh,

I can't believe it's been 20 years!  We went to the hospital that time for the last time.  Your mom was exhausted and was so tired of the medications they were using to stop the labor.  We figured you were very close to due, anyway.  When Dr. Radell wanted to try yet one more medication, I got tears in my eyes and told him (out of earshot of your mother), "It's time to let God make the decision.  My daughter can't take anymore of this.  Please, just let her be." 

Of course, the decision was hers, but I know that the doctor listened to both of us.  Your mom was ready to let you come, too.  I went to the chapel to pray.  I didn't pray all that much then, but I was afraid.  My little girl was about to have a baby.  I sat there crying until Aunt Donna came to get me.  I felt so helpless.  I wonder if my mom felt that way when she knew I was having a baby the first time.

I went back into the labor room with Donna.  The doctor had broken your mom's water.  It took some time, but finally we were taken to the delivery room.  Your Uncle John was just outside the door, jumping up to look through the window. Your mom was quiet.  She would look to me and nod, then push.  I looked in the mirror and saw your head with a mixture of joy and fear.  Your mom pushed and out you came . . . a perfect baby girl!  You were pink and wonderful.  It wasn't til later that they said they would have to transfer you to the neonatal unit. 

Your poor mom was so distressed.  We took her to the hospital to see you.  We gowned up and went in and were taken aback  by how tiny you now were.  You lost some of your birth weight and were now supported by a respirator and tubes everywhere.  We rubbed your tiny little back and told you how we loved you and how perfect you were.  The neonatal people said you were just 32 weeks and would likely be hospitalized for two months or more.  We were in shock, but accepted their word. 

Late that afternoon, you took a turn for the worse.  They said you might not make it.  Our hearts were heavy and I called everyone I knew and asked them to pray.  In the morning, I went to see my sister Charlotte and was afraid to call the hospital.  We knew you were critical and each time the phone rang, there was fear.  I was crying when I got to Charlotte's house.  She said your mom had called.  I called her and to our amazement, you had turned around again and were on room air!  We went to see you again.  Still on the respirator, they said your level of oxygen was down to normal and they might try to take the respirator off the next day.

Next day, while your mom was having a procedure done at the hospital, you were transferred to another hospital.  When I called there to see if you had arrived, they had taken you off the respirator and had given you your first feeding!  Oh!  What joy to report to your mother! 

The 2 months never happened.  You were only in the hospital for 12 days.  You were just 4 lbs and some ounces when we took you home.  We had to buy Cabbage Patch doll clothes for you because even the tiniest baby clothes were way too big for you. 

Ashleigh, your birth was the beginning of a new phase of my life for me and the beginning fo a new relationship between me and your mom.  I have never been more proud of her than when you were born.  All the strikes were against her and she stuck to her guns and brought a wonderful baby girl into the world. 

Now I have lots of grandchildren . . . but you were the first.  For me, it was more than special.  I love you so much, baby.  

Of all the things a mom looks for

When her kids are small

There?s not a thing to compare

To the greatest gift of all

 

Time slows down and moms and kids

Butt heads and argue and fight

Parents are mean and stubborn

And will never see the light.

 

Then comes the day when there?s a change

The kids are grown and gone.

The nest seems empty and so it is

Until grandkids come along.

 

The right of passage comes to us all

On different days and times

The day you came to grace the earth

Was the day the passage was mine.

 

Once forever ?Mom?, now forever ?Grandma?

Ashleigh my dear, I tell you true

When I passed from Mom to ?Grandma,

The gift God gave was you.

 

Blessings to you on this special day with love from Grandpa Rob, Grandma and Andrea

                                                     

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet this is  !!   Ashleigh is a lucky gal !!   Tina

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to Ashleigh. She has a special place in your heart I can tell!  Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful, Penny.  May God bless Ashleigh for all of her life. xox