Saturday, October 1, 2005

I Love that "Old-Time Religion"!

We fianlly made it to Camp Meeting last evening.  Good Samaritans picked us up at our hotel (in the worst part of town!) and shuttled us to the meeting.  Each day, we celebrate a country covered by Zion Ministries.  Yesterday was Mexico Day.  we missed the morning talks by the ministers from Mexico, but were happy to arrive in time to break bread with our fellow servants and have time for prayer before the main preaching.

After the meal, we joined the group for prayer.  It was good to be with these people, so many of whom we only get to see once a year at Camp Meeting.  A travelling preacher/evangelist was leading the prayer time.  For the most part, prayer was for healing.  I thought of friends of mine who so desperately need the Lord's touch and prayed for them as well.  Out of the blue, Brother Robert called me up for prayer.  He said the Lord wanted to touch me.  As he prayed, he said he knew that I had suffered for many years and the Lord wanted to heal me so that I might be more able to serve Him and His kingdom.  I had never told this brother of my health problems.  I really don't like to talk about them that much.  I felt weak in the knees as he prayed, but I knew there was a change happening in me.  Then the brother called Rob to join him.  Rob had a hardness in his heart about something I can't share here because it's not mine to share.  When the prayer was over, the rock was gone!  Rob has totally let go of something he has held since we married.  I saw the fruit of this in his actions the rest of the evening.

Folks, let me tell you, there's nothing better than a room full of holy rollers believing for the healing, whether it be spiritual or physical.  Shouts of "Halleluja!"  "Yes, Lord!" and many more were heard as people near and far were prayed for.

The wonderful ladies got up to sing and praise the Lord.  Their songs were rich and melodious as the brought us to our feet to praise with them.  Then a wonderful man with a banjo got up to sing.  The best, however, was the poem written by a woman who can't speak well and who has been wheelchair bound for many years. She's believing the Lord for a miracle. Her husband read the poem and brought tears to our eyes.  I do believe in miracles.

After watching this group of less than 50 people collect more than $2,000 to aid the ministries in Mexico, we had a short time of worship and the preaching for the evening.  Our pastor preached about receiving a fresh annointing from the Lord each day.  He encouraged us not to live on past annointing, but to seek the Lord daily for a new and fresh annointing.  He was compelled to preach these words.  He's had another topic altogether prepared and he put it aside to tell us what the Lord wants from us.  I can't relate the annointing that was in the room - you just had to be there - but I will tell you this:  I want more!

I know that not everyone can handle old-school pentecostal revivals.  I couldn't when I was younger.  I never knew a time when I didn't love the Lord.  I went to church, read the Word, studied to know more.  I made my own decision for the Lord when I was 13.  I was happy in the Lord.  When I moved to Mexico, I was happy to go to Bible Study and a non-denominational church that I loved.  Then something happend to me.  I began to look for more.  I wanted something that I had not experienced yet.  Some years ago, I found this group of men and women.  My friend said it might seem a bit radical and nearly apologized before we got to the retreat.  I couldn't get enough.  It's just what I was seeking.  The Lord gives us each what we need from Him. 

By the end of the evening, we were all wrung out like dishrags.  The joy in the room was palpable and the language of love was all around. It ws very late, but no one seemed to want to leave.  The presence of the Holy Spirit was enveloping us.  One by one, we headed out . . . many of us showing up at the same coffee shop for a bite to eat.  Praise the Lord!

Today is Africa day.  Two missionaries from Uganda will share what's going on and their needs.  Again tonite, there will be special prayer, praise, offering and preaching.  I can hardly wait for the Good Samaritan to pick us up this morning.  I'm ready for a fresh annointing.

However you worship, I pray the Lord will annoint you today with His Spirit and His love.  Blessings to you all,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a WONDERFUL time - almost makes me wish I was right there with you!

Anonymous said...

This country needs more of those types of Camp Meetings...enough to cause a huge revival to sweep across the nation.
http://journals.aol.com/lsfp1960/LindasWorld/

Anonymous said...

There is mothing in this world to compare to the Holy Spirit moving...sao many love god but have never had this experience...absolutely unforgettable...I pray we all receive what you and Rob received...Love, Courtenay

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have had such an opportunity!  
~Miss O