Monday, October 10, 2005

This is Autumn in My Town

We live a couple of miles from the ocean in southern California.  We are not near the popular beaches; most of them are south of here.  Ours is a quiet town with a diversity of peoples and life experiences.

Autumn in Southern California coastal areas is pretty much like winter, summer and spring.  Things change slightly.  Temperatures come down a bit, but otherwise.  There's not much seasonal change.  I don't miss all of that because I've never lived where there were real seasons.

Once, many years ago, I was in Tennessee in October and drove up to see my sister in Missouri.  It rained for the whole drive, but I didn't care.  The leaves and colors were fantastic!  We just don't get that here.  We have to go to the craft store to get such things to decorate our harvest homes.

We had a nice morning out.  Andrea got a trip to the local mission and learned about a time in our state when Franciscan Fathers travelled the state setting up missions.  They are so old and lovely and the visit reminded me of so many visits to the missions with my mom when I was young.  It's a part of California history.

I love California. I know all of the "down" sides. It's overinflated.  "Normal" people can't afford to buy a home here.  Gas is too expensive.  It's crowded.  We have earthquakes.  I know.  We have it all.  There are places here where seasons abound.  My daughter Heather lives in one of those places.  She's in the mountains way north of here.  She loves the snow and the seasons.  It works for her.  Personally I don't do well in the cold.  I like warm and sunny days.  That's the promise of Southern California for the most part.  We do get rain and cold, but it doesn't last like in other parts of the country.  Expensive or not, I love my home state.

This entry is for Krissy who asked for anything autumn.  Enjoy a peek at my state.  I know each place has beauty.  I just can't think right now of a place I would rather live. 

Be blessed today, Penny

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL photos and entry!  Thanks so much for sharing.  This is my most favorite time of year, as it is for many people.  I've never been to Cali, so when I see the photos I think of a few things.  1) How pretty (and how clean it looks);  2)  what a blessing it would be to live near the ocean.  That is one of my dreams to one day live near the shore.  That would be incredible.  Lovely entry, Penny.  ((((hugs))))

Anonymous said...

I wasn't sure exactly where you were in CA.  How nice you live near the ocean!!  We are about a 50 minute drive from Daytona Beach.  It's nice to be by the ocean isn't it?  Stay safe from those earth quakes.  I know the Lord will watch over you.  Fall is a wonderful time of year but we don't have much of a fall here in Florida. It's mostly hot summer.  I can't wait til our first frost.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Lovely to see your home surroundings. Thanks.
Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

    I'm with you, Penny !  My husband and I moved around the country for ten years, and then came back 'home.'  I know that it has it's faults ( no pun intended !! ), but when I am standing on the beach, and watching the waves roll in, I just can't imagine being anywhere else.  Colorado is beautiful, and Ohio has those lovely Fall colors , but California is the place that holds my heart.  Must be the water .... Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what.  I think I would trade my seasons for the gorgeousness of where you live!  Thanks for the photos Penny!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Fantastic entry! Loved reading it!
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

very nice.
Kate

Anonymous said...

How lovely, all that sunshire and blue skies! :-)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Yep, it was a little diffiult coming up with a pic for Krissy this week. I have the same problem as you do.... just at the other end of the country <LOL> Enjoyed the pics... you live in a lovely area!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

You live in such a lovely town, Penny!  Beautiful pictures.  I especially love your trees :-) xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

Great entry and pics

angelrose

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your photo's of your beautiful state. Thanks for sharing them.    ~Deborah

Anonymous said...

Just getting around to checking out these very intriguing photo scavenger hunt entries. I never thought about the fact that there are SOME trees in Southern CA that do drop their leaves. I am the total opposite from you as I don't do well in the heat... wilt like the snap peas in the June Heat. I like it cold... I mean FRIGID, toe numbing, ear biting, face freezing cold weather. Do I want this 12 months a year? Nawwww but the cold provides a good balance for summer's heat and humidity. You DO have a beautiful state, overflowing with flora and fauna that take my breath away. I'll think of you when the winter wind blows and temps fall to a life-threatening zub-zero level. I'll return to this entry with it's lovely photos.

Hey I finally made a new journal entry (don't laugh several j-land folks were ready to send out the National Guard). I would be honored if you'd stop by and give it a gander. Make it a great day!
Michael

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/1347