Wednesday, October 12, 2005

We're making progress . . .

                       

I thought having Sunday and Monday of was the best thing in the world.  Lately, I've been working six days a week.  It gets old in a hurry.  Monday we had a great time together.  I had a toothache, but figured it would go away like it always did before.  WRONG!  By 3 pm, I was ready to chuck it all.  Rob took me to the pharmacy to get a toothache kit and I stopped by the dental office to see about having the tooth extracted. 

I guess I spent too many years out of the country.  The dental office is one of those "clinic" type offices with a bunch of dentists and a lady who checks your credit.  In Mexico, you pay $20 for an extraction and $25 if it's a really rough extraction.  So you can imagine my shock when she told me they charge a minimum of $150 to remove a tooth!  That price was with their insurance.  I wavered about scheduling the appointment for this afternoon.  She told me I had better call for the appointment, because they would charge me $100 if I cancelled.  I held my tears until I got to the car.  I don't know if I was angry, embarrassed or humiliated.  We came home and I popped a couple of pain pills and started looking in the phone book.  I came upon a name I recognized from where I work.  I called and they gave me the approximate price and an appointment for 9 am yesterday morning.  They were so nice!  The dentist told me that it was possible to save my tooth, but I couldn't afford the root canal.  As hard as the tooth was to remove, they didn't charge me any extra.  He suggested I fill the prescription because the amount of pain with extraction is increased by the amount of pressure used to get the job done.  Boy!  Was he right.  I was nauseated most of the day.  I worked about 6 hours, then Elaine asked if I wanted to go home.  I must have been awfully gray looking.  A good night's rest and I am much better today. 

As you know, we have been hassling with the schoold district to get testing for Andrea.  We had a meeting on August 30th which seemed very successful.  They told me that they would have a plan for her within 50 days.  We waited for a little while, then began to call to find out what was going on.  We got shuffled here and there.  Today, we finally got hold of someone!  

                      

Andrea's teacher/advisor called me at work to tell me that they had sent her paperwork to the school psychologist at a different school.  He wants to see Andrea on the 21st at 8:30 in the morning. 

                              

Then the psychologist called me at work.  He sounds wonderful.  He apologized for not contacting me sooner.  He had just received Andrea's paperwork.  The student study team kept the paperwork for nearly thirty days before mailing it to him.  He said he would stop at nothing to see that Andrea gets the help she needs.  I felt like crying, I was so happy.  His final words to me were this:  "I believe in the saying 'Save one child and you save the world.' We'll get the help she needs."  I can hardly wait to meet this man!  I have been desperate to find help for my baby.  She's so frustrated trying to learn.  Maybe now we can find out how to help her.   Yahoo!!  We're on the move!

Be blessed tonite, my friends.

                              

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear that things are beginning to work out. Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Glad you found a dentist.  They are hard to find and just robbers these days. We have insurance too and they hit me with a false quote of under $ 60 but turned around and handed me a bill for triple that after the work was done.  A simple mouth debridement cleaning.  Grrrr.  Tell me now, why am I paying insurance.  From now on, we get it all in writing before any work is done.  I was hoppin' mad, mad, mad.  It all worked out, but still.  Sigh.  Glad you found help for Andrea too.  What a lovely name she has.  And I now have meds for my high cholesterol and am beginning to slowly feel better.  It is taking time to get me back to normal.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I still think it's kinda scary getting ensnared with the school dist. , my opinion is they are NOT for the child or the religous beliefs of any family, they hate GOD and  for the most part hate homeschoolers.
To me the school is completely the enemy, tread carefullly very carefully
~Julie  

Anonymous said...

I am so glad Andrea is getting the help she needs.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Andrea will get the help she needs and that you were able to get that painful tooth taken care of. I hope that you are doing well!!
Love you, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Dentists <shudder>.... enough said!

Great news about Andrea though! He sounds like a great person. It's always nice to meet someone who is doing the job because he cares and is dedicated. Good luck!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Wooo, hoooo!  I teacher who's worth their salt!  I am glad.  :-)
Sorry to hear about your tooth!  Hope it is feeling better soon...  well, the hole, you know what I mean.  :-)
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news... I am soooo happy for you, Penny !  Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme