Friday, September 30, 2005

Car Problems

We are a few hours from home at our annual missions conference/camp meeting.  We had to pass through the area of the L.A. fires.  Mop-up operations have started since the fires are bout 25% contained.  All the residents have been able to go home again.  I brought the camera to try to get a couple of shots, but haven't had time to look at them yet.

We got off the freeway near the San Bernardino mountains to continue on our trip.  Ther was a detour and we lost our way.  I got a little (?) tense and picked on Rob.  We went the wrong way and when we hit the intersection, he couldn't stop the car.  We were way past the crosswalk when we finally stopped.  Of course, I figured it was his driving and he said it was the brakes.  We drove the next 20 - 25 miles very gingerly.  The brakes were indeed very squishy.  It was a little scary.

We got to our hotel and asked directions to a brake shop that was reputable.  They gave us direction to an area where there were several repair shops.  We went to Midas and got the brakes looked at.  The master cylinder is out.  Ka-put!  No good.  That's what we get for driving an older car - these things just wear out.  I won't tell you how much it's going to cost, but this is going to be a very expensive weekend.  We'll probably be going on a diet this month.

We can praise the Lord that we have the money in the bank, there are people here willing to take us from the hotel to camp meeting and back and they serve 3 meals at the camp meeting! 

Will try to update and get pictures in after we get back from the meeting tonight.  If not, we'll be on sometime tomorrow afternoon.  I miss my home connection.  I forgot my favorite pillow.  I miss the dog . . .the birds . . .well, I don't miss work.

Be blessed,

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just HATE unexpected expenses?  But of course, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you guys are okay, and that it wasn't anything too major, like a transmission or something, but still, I know, I Just got my brakes replaced and I cringed as I wrote the check.
Hugs, and enjoy your weekend.
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

glad your OK, we get our brakes done tomorrow! ... is it catching????
~Julie

Anonymous said...

Aren't automobiles a pain ?  But, living in the L.A. area, there is no way around having to deal with them.  Oh, well... enjoy your conference.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to stop the car! Everything is so expensive these days, especially the neccessities that the manufacturers know we need. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Penny I feel for you. Hope you enjoy your meeting. Take care my friend.
Sylvia xx
http://journals.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

Oh, I had to replace the Master and the Slave Cylinder... not a fun month!  It would have been cheaper to buy a junker but than again, who wants to, right?  I hope all works out!  Be safe!  <hugs>
~Miss O