Sunday, September 11, 2005

Will we forget? NO!

Four years ago today, I was in Mexico taking the children to school.  There were 7 of them in the car and as usual, they were noisy.  I had an American news station on the radio, and I heard something that frightened me.  I asked the kids to be quiet and turned up the news.  They continued their banter.  Frightened, I yelled, "SHUT UP!!" in English.  They got it.  I listened and cried. 

My country was under attack.  When I got back home, I called Rob.  Weren't married yet and he was staying with my friend until the special day.  Then I glued myself to the television.  All I got were the Spanish channels.  I watched in horror as the events unfolded.  When I went to pick up Rob for the day, I got to watch in English for a while because my friend has American cable.

There is no more powerless feeling than to watch that kind of destuction from a foreign country.  They were talking about closing the borders.

No, like millions of others, I will not forget.  I won't ever forget how much I love my country and how proud I am to be an American.

There is another disaster facing Americans now and most are showing the same kind of compassion they showed on 9-11.  There's probably more to come. We are better prepared for each one.  We learn by our mistakes and our wonderful American arrogance.  We think it won't happen to us.  When it does, we are shocked.  But we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and go forward.  That is our resiliance in the face of disaster. 

No, we won't forget.  Take time today to bless and pray for those who have been affected by 9-11 and Katrina.  They deserve our best.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That day will forever be a part of us until we die.   For you to have experienced it in a foreign country is quite different than most of us. Love, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

It was a horrible day which just cannot be forgotten. I feel so sad for the ones who died and their relatives. The ones who survived must be going through a living nightmare. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all.
Sylvia x

Anonymous said...

This is so true!  Some times we loose sight of the important things.
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

Well said, my friend.  Tina

Anonymous said...

trying times, but they will not go unheeded. Prayers of many will help!
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

Disaster is just that, but it brings out the best in all those effected, and there is no one that has not been effected by what we have seen.  I am proud of my children, I am proud of my family, proud of my friends and proud of those Americans who have stepped forward to do everything possible to effect change.  I am also proud that our president has taken the responsibility of the failure of those who failed their constituents upon himself... not all the blame is his to be burdened with but a good leader knows the buck ultimately stops with him!  <<HUGS>>
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

I cannot even begin to imagine how your heart was torn that day.  Knowing you wanted to stay, to minister to these beautiful children, and yet longing to be home to hold your family close to you.  Strange how quickly an ordinary day can turn into one we will remember for the rest of our lives.