Sunday, September 25, 2005

Anniversary

                               

 

I've been so self-absorbed this week I didn't realize what day it was.  As many of you know, I had surgery on Thursday to remove a lump I found above my right breast.  As far as the doctor can tell, it was a benign lump so everything is okay.  I'm relieved, to say the least.  I wasn't all that worried, but the mind still plays tricks on you when you least expect it. 

The surgery hurt more than I expected.  I figured I could be back doing everything on Friday.  Wrong!  I wanted to go back to work on Saturday, but opted for another day at home.  My co-worker wasn't too happy, but I didn't figure I'd be at my best on pain drugs.  Tomorrow I'll go back to work. 

Tomorrow is a very special day for me . . .and until just a few minutes ago, I forgot.  Just don't tell Rob I forgot.  He'll never let me live it down.  It was four years ago tomorrow that we got married.  I could relive that day in my mind a bazillion times and it wouldn't get old.  I still get that little tingly feeling in my stomach when he smiles that special smile at me.

I know, I know.  I should feel that way after only 4 years!  But let me tell you, we've been through 20 years worth of experiences in these 4 years.  And really . . .I've been married so often that you'd think butterflies would be a thing of the past for me.  You'd be wrong. 

I think when God picks the right person for you, whether it's from the start or after a few tries, the butterflies and tinglies will last forever.  Our hearts weren't slammed up against each other with that HUGE thrill like I felt when I was a teenager, rather wound together like a vine, twisting and turning and making adjustments for age and wisdom and mistakes.  That vine reaches up toward God with a kind of love that I can't explain, but God can.  He knew what he was doing when He knit us together as a family.  We'vehad to take our life experiences and weave them into the structure of our life together to make a perfect whole.  There's nothing about me he doesn't know or I wouldn't tell him.  Like Popeye, I am what I am.  Likewise, I know Rob better than anyone else alive does.  We fit together like hand and glove.

You know, I thought after being widowed a few years ago that I'd had enough love to last a lifetime.  I had a good life serving the Lord and it just couldn't get any better than that.  Never second-guess your Father in heaven!  He had more love to fill my heart and my arms.  I am so grateful that He loves me enough to send a treasured second family into my life. 

Blended, we are.  We were mixed together in God's blender and if I do say so myself, we came out mighty tasty.

 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a very happy anniversary and of course I wouldn't dream on letting Rob know you forgot it!! Anniversaries aren't too important, it's the fact that you're together and enjoying each other so much that matters. You can tell him that if you ever forget another one!!
I hope you will feel better when you go back to work. Any surgery traumatises the body and will take time to get over. Just take it easy for a few days. Jeannette.xx

Anonymous said...

Well happy anniversary, LOL, my 16th is coming up next month, the tingly is sooo gone for me lol
~Julie

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversay. My Johnny and I will celebrate our 32 year of marriage this December 31st. Have fun!!
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

So glad that the lump was benign, you go back to work when the pain is gone and you truly feel like it.  Congratulations on your anniversary, yes it is wonderful when you find your soulmate, we have been married 35 years come December.

Anonymous said...

Penny wonderful news.....I was wondering how you made out :). Happy Anniversary, how lucky you are!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found that love - it is one worth sharing! And wonderful news about the lump you found! Spectacular!
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

Anonymous said...

Penny, No one deserves to be happy more than you do and I am so glad that you are!  :-)  Happy anniversary to you and Rob!  <<HUGS>>  
I am sooooooooo glad to hear that everything went okay!  Heal well!  Love ya'
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, hon!  I think it's great you still have butterflies :)
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

    First off, Penny,  glad to hear the surgery went well, and that you are on the mend.  Second .. Happy Anniversary! How wonderful for you two !  And you speak the truth.  When it's right ... it's right.  You deserve it, so enjoy it !  Tina

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear everything went well with surgery.
I love your graphic 'Enjoy Life's Little Pleasure' !!
It took me a while to learn that, but I think that since I have been enjoying the little things in life I am so much happier. Every day is a new adventure!
Take care.
Kate

Anonymous said...

A very Happy Anniversary to you both Penny.  I`m glad your surgery went well for you.  I`ve had the same surgery twice so I know how you felt before the results, and the relief you felt afterwards.  It was such a worry.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!!
Love, lisa