Friday, October 1, 2004

Ma'am?

I was sitting here playing with my computer.  Somehow I managed to turn the sound off without knowing it.  Don't know how I do this to myself.  Fortunately, I fiddled around long enough to find out what I'd done.

We spent half the afternoon going through boxes and boxes of paperwork that I brought back from Mexico.  We were looking for a couple of things, but mostly, we wanted to see how much of it we could round file.  We managed to fill a whole black trash bag with "treasured memories" of the last 15 years.  I don't think we will ever need a 10 year-old electric bill, a note from someone whose name I no longer recognize, or the gazillion photcopies we made to get our paperwork on the adoption finished.  I image one copy will suffice.

Then I came here to my room to listen to music and play a game.  As I said, I was fiddling with the sound.  A man with a bicycle came to the open door to our room and said, "Ma'am?  Is that Mark Brown's house next door?"  I was dumb-struck.  I don't know anyone here except our benefactor.  But I kept hearing him say, "Ma'am?"

When I was a little girl, my mother taught me that this was how I was to address older women.  Never by their first names, usually not by any name until told specifically to do so.  And so I did.  All those blue-hairs at church were "ma'am" to me.  Couldn't ever think of them as "Miss" or "Susan" just "Ma'am"  And now, I'm ma'am!

When did I get older?  I don't spend much time in front of a mirror (my mom looks back at me from there!), so often don't think of myself at any age.  I remember having a very young face for so many years . . .now I'm ma'am.  Wow!  Seems like yesterday that my babies were babies and my life was pretty new.  I don't think of it too much until I see my son's picture or that of my 19 year-old granddaughter.

Now don't go thinking I'm depressed about all of this.  I'm not.  I wouldn't trade this age, this day, this hour of my life for any other.  I wouldn't try on yesterday's problems again if I were offered a no-fault guarantee.  All those times make me who I am today.  I like that. 

Just don't like "ma'am"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the south, we have ma'am and sir drilled into our heads and chained there, so I first started getting ma'am-ed in my 20s.  20 some odd years later, I'm used to it -- just barely.

Anonymous said...

Boy, can I relate to that!  In Alabama, the one thing I love about it is that from an early age, kids are taught to say "ma'am" and "sir".  So needless to say, now that I live in the south, people don't get "the look" that I often gave back in Indiana.  Ya know, that look that only us women can give..lol

Be blessed......Trina

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a productive day!  Ma'am... ummm, I can't think of a single thing to say about this except that I hope to minimize the age process as much as possible.  My bathroom is filled with all these beauty secrets and this n that but I don't know if any of it will help or not.  I keep using the stuff but really, I think the only way to stay young is to read the Bible, exercise and eat light and eat healthy.  And everyone has an opinion on what is healthy.