Friday, October 15, 2004

We live in the greatest country in the world!

I am so happy and proud to be an American!  There's a lot to be said for living in the United States.  I'm not saying this just because I recently returned from15 years in Mexico, though that makes my feelings all that much stronger. 

Day by day, I see political stuff on the television.  I'll be so glad when the election is over and the voters have taken their stand to choose a president, officials and local issues.  I do tire of listening to the rhetoric.  But more than that. There are still many countries that have no free and fair elections.  The process away from here is quite watered-down.  The candidates in Mexico, for example, put posters up and go out and stump a little, but for the most part, depend on hired young people to plaster bumper stickers on cars.  It's difficult for them to choose the best one for the job, because the average citizen doesn't get to hear the plat form.

Well, I digress.  I went to the market a few minutes ago to get a few things.  On the way out, we realized I had forgotten the very thing I went to the store for.  Don't say it!  I'm not old!  Just some things tend to leak out through the gray hairs (I only have about 10).  Anyway, I went back in, got in the express line to pay for my item and the lady in front of me was harrassing the checker. I'd quote, but I would never get the words perfect.  The gist of it was this - We have to get rid of this government!  It is US, our government, who are the terrorists.  It has all been created by our messed up country.  WE keep third world countries that way because it's to our advantage. - It went on and on.  This lady was angry.  She said we wouldn't get the truth on the news unless we studied international news.  It's all propaganda.  Poor checker.  The customer is always right.  Don't argue politics, subversive stuff, religion or anything else sensitive.  Just nod your head and smile.  I know she had an opinion.  I could read her eyes.

Still, that exchange is what makes the U.S.A. the greatest country in the world.  In many countries, that lady would have been executed on the spot. Not here.  She is free not only to have that opinion, but to express it where ever she goes as long as she doesn't try to express it with a weapon. 

Folks, we have RIGHTS!  We have the right to disagree with our government.  We can peacefully (or loudly) demonstrate to exercise our rights and tell our opinions.  We have so many rights it's almost disgusting.  And although I don't agree with them all, I am proud to be in a country where our rights are protected.

I mean it.  Go spend some time away from the U.S.  Little things we take for granted disappear.  If you are arrested, you are guilty until proven innocent.  Bail may never be set.  I have a friend whose son has been in jail without charges for over 12 years.  Why?  Since no one in the family can pay the bribe, they won't let him out. 

I know there are places right here at home where there is corruption, illegal financing and all that stuff.  I didn't say we lived in a perfect country, just the best.  Anyone who doubts that can go live somewhere else. 

As for me, I'm home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are SOOO Right! America is a great country, but it is riddled with problems as well! I think most americans do take their rights for granted and that is a shame, but then again it is rather natural for humans to act that way so you just gotta keep on loving anyway as the alternative sucks...Great Journal, thanks so very much for posting!-Keith

Anonymous said...

Amen! Everyone should spend a year outside the US to get a new viewpoint of our country. There are issues that need to be resolved in this country and by getting actively involved we CAN make a difference. Thanks for your viewpoint.

Anonymous said...

Ditto the Amen!  I have lived outside the US (Jordan for 4 years, which is liberal for a middle eastern country, India for 8 months (it is soo crowded), and Spain for 2 years).  There is no place like home.

Cat