Saturday, October 23, 2004

Weekend Assignment #30

As I was reading the assignment, I began to remember the shows that were important to me when I was younger.  We didn't have a color T.V. for some time, so the characters were in black and white.  My mom was a TV sleeper.  She would fall asleep on the couch with the television on.  I would get up in the night and watch for a while.  One of my favorite movies came out of this time.  I loved Captiain Blood with Errol Flynn!

My best friend Becky loved Ben Casey, while all of my heart circled around Dr. Kildare.  Richard Chamberlain was young and very handsome.  I wouldn't miss the show.  Then one Thursday aternoon while at choir practice - there he was!  Dr. Kildare (oops, Richard Chamberlain) right there in the basement of out church.  We has a radio station and he and a woman were singing into a microphone.  I couldn't stop looking and finally he cme out, signed an autograph for me and kissed my forehead.  I thought I would pass out!  His partner in song came to retrieve him.  She was scandalous to me.  She had on a tight black dress and had taken off her shoes and was walking around in her nylons.  I didn't want to wash my face.  I kept that slip of paper for what seems like forever. 

It's hard to pick any other favorite when you have been kissed on the forehead by Richard Chamberlain, but I must say that as much as I loved Dr. Kildare, Columbo has always been my #1 favorite of the old shows.  Even today, when I see that he's on cable, I'll switch over.  His series came on Sunday at first, rotating the time spot with McCloud, McMillan & Wife and another that seems to slip my mind at the moment.  They all had a mystery theme, but Columbo was so popular that his show soon became a regular ater the others died out.  "Just one more thing . . ." he'd say as he was leaving the suspect's house.  Wonderful!

I would love to be on the game show Jeopardy.  When I watch at home I get about 90% of the answers befor the buzzer.  I wonder if I'd choke uner the pressure.  Probably.  Give me something simple and multiple choice like Hollywood Squares.

No comments: