Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Domestic Engineer

Incredibly, I am learning to do a lot of things left-handed.  It's really a chore.  I feel totally uncoordinated.  Yes, you say - you are uncoordinated - look at your arm for heaven's sake! 

I managed to cook an outstanding dinner for Rob and Andrea tonite.  Roast beef, baked potatoes, brussel sprouts, grilled pearl onions.  I'd be hungry again if I hadn't just eaten.  I did have to have Robert cut the meat, chop the chives and cut my meat once it was on my plate.  This is why I've been eating sandwiches.  Easier that way.  The downside of all this is now they will expect my best whether I'm in a cast or not.

That's what my kind of mom is all about.  Take care of dad and the kids, do the laundry, keep the house clean.  I know things have changed and many modern women have other priorities.  I think that's wonderful.  Strong women in this day and age are a must.  Actually, that's the kind of woman I used to be.  When last I worked, I had 3 jobs, kept my youngest in private school (although he picked up part of the tab as well) and took the occasional speaking engagement.  I loved it. 

I told all my friends that I would never be the kind of wife who let HIM be the head of household, said "Yes, dear," and meant it and otherwise appeared weak and spineless.  I found out some pretty interesting stuff in the last few years.  the strongest woman is the one who lets HIM be head of household, says "Yes,dear" and upholds him in every way.  Surprisingly, that's not weak at all.  I'm not a domestic engineer, I'm a wife and mom.  A good one.  While HE is head of household for sure, we are fully submitted to each other and we respect our abilities.  He isn't the one to keep the books and I no longer have to fix the toilet.

It's the best job I've ever had.

No comments: