Tuesday, November 14, 2006

THANKFUL TUESDAY

Yes, today is a thankful day.  The sun is shining, no wind, aaahhh, lovely!!A perfect day to head for the beach.  We didn't do it, of course.  the girls were in school, Rob was busy with laundry and I am just plain lazy.  I slept in until 10 am, with just a few interruptions.  Still feeling pretty tired. 

Above are  about the most wonderful, reasons for our gratefulness - Mandy, a dear friend of the girls; Kayla, Andrea & Mandy,  Andrea and Lupe.  We'd be less busy, but there would be less joy and a lot less fun.  There are days, well I guess a lot of parents have them, that we'd be grateful to have them grown and gone . . . but then of course we'd be OLD!!  As long as there are children in our lives, there will be joy and we will stay young . . . at least at heart.

On my shoulder is a young yellow bird we call Rascal.  He reminds us very much of our Dufus.  It's possible that he has one parent in common.  We got him from the same breeder.

Speaking of breeders, we have two new cockatiel chicks.  They popped out of their shells a couple of days ago.  They are so tiny!  These little guys are the first born to this pair.  It took them six eggs to figure out what to do.  I wonder if they are thinking now, "Don't they give out user manuals for them?"  Here is a photo of the second, but largest that I took out:

Rob says that   they look like little dinosaur chicks.  They are possibly 1 or 1 1/4" long now after about 2 1/2 days of feeding.  My thumb is not that big, really!  Because I wanted to get close, it's blurry.   Next week I'll try to post their progress for you.  I'm thankful to have these birds that give us so much joy. 

How can marriage, kids and animals bring us all so much joy?  God ordered it for us.  In Eden, Adam was given the responsibility of naming and caring for the animals.  It has been our responsibility since then to do so.  Then God gave Adam a wife (the first marriage) making them a holy union, the two becoming one.  Then he commanded them to multiply (have children).  Isn't He awesome?  For this, we have joy, sorrow, laughter and tears.  Seems our lives were set up for us long before any of us was born.  For this, I am truly grateful.

Please share your thankfulness with me through the rest of the week.  If you post on your journal or blog, send me the link and I'll post it on Saturday.  

Blessings to all of you, my J-Land family.

                

 

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Rob...they do look like little dinos!

Anonymous said...

aww so cute..:) Vicky

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful, full, and blessed life you have!  i'm glad you visited my journal.
gina

Anonymous said...

Uhhmmm, yes, that looks like a dinosaur chick, and I am scared of it, LOLOLOL!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I found your Journal through Gina's. What a wonderful family you have.
The baby does look like a dino. I used to have cockatiels my dad gave them to me. They were great.
Hum made me think when you said God ordered pets and family for us. I knew family but had never thought about the animals. That explains why I have such a desire for pets.
Where in mexico were you a missionary? We have a friend in church who was a missionary to mexico too.
I look forward to getting to know you better.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

dear Penny
hugs whata lovely entry!
thanks for the interesting picture!
I love it!
Yes our childrenare fascinating!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

sounds like you had a wonderful day. and I so agree with you children keep you young at heart. Love the pics

anglerose

Anonymous said...

(((((Penny))))) you are so uplifting!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))))))))Sounds like you had a nice day.I am going to post my thankfullness sometime this week and will give you the link.Thank you for sharing your day with us.Have a great one.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful they are and I can see why you are thankful....have a wonderful week...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

The girls are precious!  The baby bird does look like a dinosaur!  LOL  But one day, it will be beautiful too.  So glad you are feeling blessed!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

That picture shows you how fragile life really is.  That chick needs a lot of TLC to become strong and big.  Thanks for sharing the pic.  Have a great hump day.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny- what a nice entry!  The babies sure are tiny things!  I'll bet they will be cuter ina few days though!  The things I am thankful for today- I am thankful that I didn't have a lot of friends during my school years, because I was able to form longer lasting friendships with a few- and some of them are still my best friends after over 25 years!  I'm also thankful when I get a pain somewhere- this week it's been my wrist- but it makes me think that even though it's painful and hard to do stuff- at least I still have an arm- at least I'm healthier than a lot of others, and at least I have the ability to feel pain so i can understand others when they are experiencing something worse.  Blessings to you all!  Have a good week!  Carolyn

Anonymous said...

That chick is so small!  Isn't it amazing that he will grow into a beautiful bird?
Pam