Friday, November 24, 2006

The Big Day is Over

        

Well, we had the big blow-out yesterday.  I baked two pies on Wednesday, got up at 5 am on Thursday so I could have a cup of coffee or two to get the old engines going ( never did  get up a full head of steam).  By  6:30 Andrea and I had the pumpkin roll in the oven.

         

I had to take little breaks all day long because I just couldn't stand too much.  We had told Kayla's uncle that we were going to eat around 4 pm.  He showed up here at about 12:30 to see the girls and a couple of minutes later his brother Monroe showed up with his intended.  Hostess that I am, I wouldn't leave the room to work in the kitchen.  Oops! turkey delay.  Rob was watching football and the two uncles were lovin' it while my turkey was "patiently" waiting for me to return.   

                          

Uncle Eddie asked if he could take Kayla and Lupe to see the cousins, etc. while the turkey baked.  I looked at the clock and told him we would now eat at around 5:30 or 6:00 pm.  Smiling, I waved as 2 of the 3 girls were whisked away from the holiday madness.

The next thing that happened was that I found some stuff in the body cavity and put it to the side to use later.  I then stuffed the bird, had Rob help me load it buttered, slathered and slippery into a cooking bag and lift it into the oven.  I had cooked the giblets and added to the stuffing, so other than making "smashed" potatoes and veggies, there was a little down time.

I sat in the living room for a while, listened to football and played on my computer for a while.  It was a very nice diversion. Then I got up from my chair and ambled into the kitchen to check th progress of the turkey.  It was browning well.  Now was the time to start making side dishes.  Andrea scrubbed and cut potatoes while I cleaned up my workspace and started water to boil.  After we got the potatoes in the pan, we started to work on the rolls.  Silently, Andrea and I rolled the dough into little balls - tried crescent, couldn't do it - and placed them in the pan to rise a little on top of the stove along with the extra stuffing (it was baking on top) and the turkey neck simmering for broth.  Then it was time for another break.

                                      

After some time reading a couple of journals and playing a bit of Pogo, Andrea and I went back into the kitchen.  The turkey wasn't ready so I went online to look up an onion sauce.  Never found one. Went solo.  Mmmmmmm! scrumptious.  I whipped the potatoes, heated the vegetables and had Rob take turkey out of the oven.  Lupe, Kayla and Uncle Eddie come in while I am whipping the potatoes.  "Is that how you do it?  I thought they came in a box"  Thank goodness she went straight to the living room.  I wouldn't have been able to hold it back too long.  As it was, I nearly wet my pants.  I must be getting really old. 

We put the rolls in the oven, poured the onion sauce over the vegetables, finished making the gravy and set the table with fine china.  It was wonderful.

                  

After the main meal, Rob and I went in the kitchen to start the clean-up and prepare to give them pie and pumpkin roll.  Both went over well.  We finished up in the kitchen.  We ate a lot!  Still,  there were some leftovers . . .          .

 

 

 

                      

                            

                       

          

 

 

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving!  She thought potatoes came in a box!  That is way too funny!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say, cute baby birdies!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

wow! where did those birds come from Penny!(big eyes)
Gee tell me!please!
great entry! very cute! lol! I loved the bit about "wsiking the girls way a whiLe the turkey was getting done" and when you cooked with your sweetie!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

That pumpkin bread looks delicious...are you sharing any recipes soon?.....what a big day...I cant cook much so I get to bring the rolls...I think its my way of boycotting what I know to be, one hell of a tough job for women....I admire...and only hope my day wont come..lol...-Raven

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful family Thanksgiving Day to me ...  lots of work, too, but yummy, for sure!   I love hearing about your birds and seeing the several pictures you've shown us in your past entries.  What kind of baby birdies are those, they're adorable?!?    I have smaller birds and have had several baby creamino lovebirds.  I also have parakeets and finches.   Judy in CT

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!  LOTS to eat!
The birds look so prehistoric at this age....LOL!  What kind are they?
Pam

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving,its nice to spend with family,sharing good memories.I loved your pics and graffics.Who found the birds?Are they your birds?They are so cute.HAve a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

are those your birds?
Sounds like you did alot of work on thanksgiving but i know you felt blessed! I am glad you had a good day.
Love,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! xoxBarbara

Anonymous said...

The pumpkin roll looks like a piece of art its so pretty.
Love the birds

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a big, lovely day!!  Now go rest up.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

sounds like a yummy meal!  glad it all turned out good.

love the picture of the little birdies!  so cute!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

ONE OF THE BEST THINGS THAT THEY CAME UP WITH IS THOSE TURKEY BAKING BAGS!!! I LOVE THEM!
GLAD YALL HAD A GOOD TIME TOGETHER!
LOVE YA,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a good day, and a wonderful meal. I hope you get lots of rest now. The pumpkin roll looks delicious I had planned to make one this year and didn't get it done. The baby birds are sweet sure will be a lot cuter as adults though.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hello Penny .... It looks to me as though you had a lovely day with those you hold dear to you.  I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Baby tiels?

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a satisfyingly tiring day like we did.  I'm glad you had a nice holiday and dinner.  The litte birdies are getting bigger too- and cute!  I've never heard of a pumpkin roll- could you maybe pass along the recipe?  Sounds good, and I still have a pumkin that I need to use up!!  God Bless Penny, and have a great week!  love Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny- Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing your day with us. Pretty graphic--Sassy ;-)

Anonymous said...

Iplay on pogo too, also send the recipe for pumpkin pie, glad to see you had a nice day

yasmin

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.Thanks for sharing

angelrose