Friday, June 17, 2005

No Despairing

Lest you think that my last entry was a downer, please understand that my life was full and complete . . .even without a father.  My mother filled my life with love and learning, answering every question I had, comforting every fear.  In addition, I had a grandfather (her dad).  I've written a little about him in my journal.

Instead of Grandma and Grandpa, we called my mother's parents "Boosie" and "Dearie".  My grandmother's name was Ruth (or Ruthie) but a neighbor kid couldn't pronounce that so she be came Boosie.  Dearie got his name because the called each other dearie. 

 My grandfather was an engineer and an inventor.  He liked to make things work better.  To that end, he invented a machine that is still in use today for baking bread.  It's a commercial machine for bakeries that holds many loaves for the whole process.  He sold the rights to this machine probably before I was born. One of my fondest memories is playing with a game he invented which we called "9's"  There were 2" cylinders of clear plastic with numbers sort of like those on a die.  It's been so long since I played the game that I can't really remember now exactly how it worked.  I believe that one of my sisters still has those game pieces.

Some of my best early memories include my grandparents.  They were very involved in the church and seemed to be well liked by everyone.  My grandfather was a man who loved his family and wife without reservation and I honestly don't remember ever hearing him criticize or shame anyone. 

So please, dear reader, think not that I despair of having a father.  I am a woman who has been truly blessed by a loving family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im pleased you had the love of your extended family. Makes such a difference.
Sylvia x

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I am who I am today is thanks to my grandmother. A good grandparent can make all the difference in the world.

Gabreael

Anonymous said...

a father is an awesome blessing but you are testament that one does not always need a Father on Earth. I credit Him for my getting to where I am today too and I thank Him for the ones he  sent to guide me on the path He would want me to follow.
Laura