Saturday, December 4, 2004

A verry, merry, happy. . .

I'm probably going to get into trouble with this one.  I'm having a real problem here.  I've been listening to radio, watching television and reading news reports.  What happened to Christmas?

I know we celebrate it on December 25th and my personal beliefs keep me celebrating all year long.  I'm a Christian and happy and proud to be one.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying the people who aren't Christian aren't any good.  That's not even a discussion to have in this journal.  Suffice to say that I will stand up for my convictions.  Still . . .what happened to Christmas?

A few years ago, I worked with a woman who painted windows.  Christmas time was busy for her.  She painted Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everywhere.  She painted some nativity scenes.  She painted Hannukah stuff.  I don't think we knew much about Kwaanza (sp?) then.  We never thought much about any of it.  People greeted each other with "Merry Christmas".  Merchants wished you the same while they wrapped your gifts.

Now, our "holiday" gifts are placed under a "holiday" tree.  In some places, people are trying to make it illegal to say Merry Christmas.  Of course, all the other persuasions can participate and say what they want, but since we are Christians, we can't.  What's the deal.  Isn't this reverse discrimination?

I just heard of a holiday parade in Colorado where the Chinese guys did a New Year's dance to ward off evil spirits and some gay Indians got to march, but they wouldn't let the Christians have a float or sing Christmas carols.  This is breaking my heart, guys.  It's a bunch of hogwash!  We don't have to be in total agreement on everything to celebrate as Americans at our chosen holiday time.

I don't know where I'm going to start, but I promise you all this:  I'm going to stand up for my right to celebrate MY religious holidays without prejudice.  I'll stand up for YOURS, too!  It's our right as Americans to have religious freedom.  That's why our country was founded.  THOSE guys were Christians, but they wanted religious freedom to extend to all.  Why can't those who have fought so hard to escape religious persecution also give that same privilege to me? 

I know I'm on a soap box.  If you can't stand it, just don't read this.  I won't be like this all the time, but I"m upset!  I want Christmas back.  I don't want my kids and grandkids arrested for saying Merry Christmas someday. 

Merry Christmas to all of you who celebrate it, and happy holidays to those who celebrate something else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is not just Christmas. 'Political correctness' has been making a joke out of many different aspects of life for many years. I live in the UK, it's the same over here.
Sylvia
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

well said and yes it is reverse discrimination.

Anonymous said...

I'm standing right beside you!!!  Very well said.  It's just all signs of the times, but they call it being politically correct.  I'm getting so sick of that term, I could puke.  They don't want to mix church and state in schools, so they take prayer out of the schools.  Look at how that turned out and its only going to get worse.  Now, politics is invading my rights as an American citizen and its time that every Christian stands up and let the powers that be know that we aren't going to sid idly by and let them quelch our rights as one!  Great entry!!!!

Be blessed.....Trina

Anonymous said...

Oh, so well said, Penny!  Oh my!  I think of all the Christians who can't hold bible studies after school and yet they can have all kinds of other clubs.  It is scary to me!  I am right with you!