Monday, December 13, 2004

Red Hat and all .. .

I did it!  I went to a Red Hat Society gathering!  I really didn't know what to expect and I was actually a little nervous.  I shouldn't have been.  After all, "Queen" Jan invited me!  How can you miss if you've been invited by royalty.  We were to meet for supper at Fresh Choice, a local salad bar/eatery. 

I wore a purple print top and my favorite purple coat (my only coat, actually!) and forced myself inside.  I didn't have to look far to see where the ladies were.  There was a sea of read hats, purple boas, gaudy-looking gadgets and lots of laughter.  I headed that direction and saw tables laid out with goodies to buy to make one look more like one of the gang.  I looked at and tried on about 10 hats.  Most were way out of my budget, but I had fun trying them.  There was jewelry:  pins, neclaces, rings, body jewelry, you name it, it was there and price from affordable to ouch!  I wasn't willing to part with too much cash, but chose this red hat.  The price was nice and it's crocheted so I can't destroy it. 

We all bought raffle tickets (though I never win!) and put them in a purple bag to be chosen later.  The hats were so wonderful.  I can't even describe how great they were.  One lady had a huge hat - decorated to the max - and she looked great in it.  Others had little tiny hats and the "queen" of another chapter had a red headband with jewels that looked like a crown.  The clothing ranged from dazzly sequined tops and scarves to purple tee-shirts or shift dresses.  The whole point was to be comfortable. 

All the visitors had to stand and introduce themselves.  When it got to me, I just said my name and my town, but the queen stepped up and told how we met (doctor's office) and about my time as a missionary in Mexico.  When she was done, I was as red as my hat!  I used to love the spotlight, but felt kind of squirmy up there.

Then the raffles happened.  I won!  See the bear on my coat?  Her name is Ms. Beary and she was named specifically after the queen of the chapter.  She's called a tag-along pet.  I guess she'll tag along on my coat for a while.  After announcements and a great time of singing Christmas carols, I was ready to join!  Queen Carol gave me her card and said she had a new and a bit smaller chapter close by.  Then the gal that lead the singing gave me a purple and red lace hanky to wave. 

So now I am partially outfitted as a Red Hatter.  What do you think?  Can I pull it off?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can definitely pull it off Honey!  You look great!  Sounds like you had a fun time too! -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

u look great hun really u do...im thinking about joining myself ..but like u am afraid of that first step and the money..srr my cousnlor is the queen bee imagine that

Anonymous said...

You DID pull it off!!  You look wonderful, Penny!!  Oh, they sound so joyful!  I think I just might join the society someday!!  Yay for you!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you pull it off?  Totally!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a delightful time and congratulations on winning the raffle!!!  It is so much fun to win something.  It must have been your turn!!  I think God looks down from heaven and is watching over each of us and He says to Himself, "It's Penny's turn to win a raffle.  She deserves a special treat today, just to know that I, her heavenly Father, is not only looking after her, but takes delight in giving her good and special extra gifts for no reason other than I simply love her!!"  It took me a few years to really grasp this but I do believe your Red Hat Society day may just be one of those events.  Sometimes now, I actually pray that God will spoil me a little.  I imagine He has a good & healthy laugh about me at times when I ask Him to do this.  
Love You Penny!!!  
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

Hey congratulations on winng the raffle. I never in either. hat is the red hat society
Kasey....kkasey47@aol.com

Anonymous said...

That actually sounded like a LOT of fun, except maybe when  you got embarrassed but, what you did is something that deserves recognition. :-)  I've seen the red hats around and have always wondered about them.  Hopefully you will share more tales about the society and what it's like to join.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/