Saturday, May 7, 2005

Back to the Weekend Assignment - Moms

Yesteray, Rob found some pictures I had stored away.  There are many from the 1800's - all of my mother's family line.  This is a little of her history.

As John probably told you in a journal at some time or other, my grandfather's name is Booth and we are related to the terrible man who shot Lincoln.  Unlike his predecessor, my grandfather was a man full of love and intelligence - he loved my grandmother with a passion that can only be shown by re-printing one (well, two) of his love poems here:

Sunday, August 11, 1940

Good Morning!  Sweetheart, may there be

Naught but joy today for thee.

May each thought and impulse too

Bring fulfillment sweet to you

Of Every good you may require,

To satisfy all you desire.

Great love, as much as you could seek,

I send you for the coming week.

Such Love, God given, is our right,

I kiss you, Sweetheart Mine,

                                    Goodnight!

February 13th, 1938 (her birthday)

Each time I see a wondrous flower

A beautiful plant so rare,

I know, in all its beauty

It is not half so fair

As you, dear one, whom God has given

To brighten every day

A little glimpse to me of Heaven

To help me on my way.

 

So you see, friends, love is part of our history - no wonder our family is full of love!  John, If you are reading this, this is more of your family - enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmm, very interesting entry!!!
Love the old photos!!  They are wonderful treasures!


Anonymous said...

What wonderful old family photos and what beautiful poems. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother (Ruth) was beautiful and your grandfather's poems are treasures. Thanks for this lovely entry.
Sylvia x

Anonymous said...

Wow.Penny. That is beautiful and what a talent to be able to put into words the love felt. Wish i could do it!! Thank you for sharing it. Love, lisa

Anonymous said...

    Aren't these so sweet and romantic.  Your grandmother was a lucky lady to receive them!   Tina

Anonymous said...

Those poems are so lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Penny, you are so, so very lucky to have such a rich part of your history!  I enjoyed the pics and poems immensely!  Wow!  Take care! xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

these are precious, I  love old photograph's, genelogy is one of my big passions.

Derek
http://journals.aol.com/deveil/PictureoftheDay/

Anonymous said...

You are truly blessed/lucky (take your pick).  You obviously have a very loving and affectionate family.  I found you through your sons journal.  You are a rightfully proud mother.  :-)
Miss O