Sunday, February 20, 2005

Getting Back in the Swing

I'm sitting here folding clothes that Andrea washed a couple of days ago.  I know for sure she washed them because almost everything is inside out!  She doesn't see the value of having them turned right side out yet and nothing I say will convince her.

There's not too much I can do yet, although I feel pretty good.  My tummy hurts still and I've been told it will be a while before I can lift.  I just want to be productive, though, so I loaded the washer this morning and will have Rob bring me things to fold later.  I'd like to do dishes and straighten the kitchen, but I get tired too easily.  Another day, maybe.

The pastor's wife called last night.  They were out of town when I had the surgery.  She felt real bad about it, but I didn't really care to have visitors at the hospital anyway.  I mean, you feel like you have to talk to them and entertain them when all you really want to do is let the pain medicine put you back to sleep.  They might come by today if it doesn't start raining again.

I took two walks yesterday.  One to see the progress on the house and later to the supermarket.  Dufus likes to go there.  He sits on my shoulder and people come up to admire him.  I'm grateful for the shopping carts.  It gave me something to lean on. I got a broccoli/potato/cheese thing to eat and Robert got a burrito from a restaurant.  I'll be glad when I can cook again.

Wow!  has my life gotten boring!  I have had a chance to read a few journals, which I like to do and at least today I feel good enough to write.  I spent nearly an hour looking for a picture of Aflac the duck so I could put it in Krissy's journal photo contest for "Delicious"  I couldn't find his picture, but we weren't the ones to eat him, anyway.  I gave him to a local pastor and his wife because I just couldn't stomach the thought of eating Rob's pet duck.  Let someone else who has no emotional connection do that.

Actually, after Aflac, all the duckies went away.  I was afraid if one would attack me, then what would happen if one of the kids ticked them off?  All the other animals had pens, but the ducks were free-roaming and with 20 kids from babies on up, it was a risk I wasn't willing to take.  Now, all that's left are the pigs and the chickens.  The goats went to another ministry to make cheese, which they share.  The bull went to stud, traded for a stud pig.  The sheep have become "birria" which is a spicy red soup filled with shredded meat and toped with onions, lime, oregano and sometimes sour cream.  Quite good if you like that sort of thing.  Rob was happy to have the bull go to stud - I saw him as meat on the hoof (M.O.T.H.), but he was Rob's pet.  But that's another story.

Blessings, Penny

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I`m so glad you are feeling a bit better Penny,  It is very frustrating not to be able to do all the things you are used to doing.  I am discovering how people view the disabled.  I only have my arm in a sling and I get people staring at me in public as though I have two heads or something !  lol.  On a serious note I can`t wait to get back to having two working arms and can fold up my own washing :-)
Take care of yourself.   Blessings
Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel about people visiting you in the hospital...when I have to stay for a day or two, I like to be by myself.  I just don't want visitors.  People think that is strange, but I don't.  I just want to lie there and let the medicine work and not worry about the visitors.  I guess you understand.  I have terrible visions of poor pets being cooked in stew pots! LOL  Although the birria does sound tasty!  Keep getting better!  You are in my daily prayers, love!! xox

Anonymous said...

Glad you are sounding a bit better Penny.  That is great that you were able to take two walks already!  
I am with Valerie, imagining pets in stew pots!  Oh my goodness!
Keep getting well Love. -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

So glad it is over and you are on the up.
http://journals.aol.com/journalsuk/AMum'sTale

Anonymous said...

Now that sounds like an intersting soup... the one from the sheep!  Glad to see you back on line as it means God is taking care of you dear sweet Penny!  Hope all is well in your corner and take it easy.  Get some rest and recover speedily!!  Hugs,
Lisa

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/