Sunday, April 24, 2005

Finding Family

Yesterday was a day for family as we travelled the 2 - 2 1/2 hours from our home to visit Rob's father.  It was kind of a serendipity because we weren't sure if we would be able to go.  With me working, our travelling has been cut back a bit.

I really wanted to sleep in, but since Rob's relationship with his father has just been renewed after many, many years, we decided this was an important trip to make.  So, after Rob roused me from my slumber, I sluggishly got ready to go.  He loaded my laptop and a disc of pictures from our time in Mexico into the car and after coffee, poured me in as well.

Rob said that his nephew "Junior" lived not too far from his dad and he wanted to call him and reconnect as well.  This would have been easy because twice Rob has gotten the phone number from his brother.  Except, Rob lost it both times!  So since Rob was driving, I had to call his brother and admit that he lost it again.  His brother cracked up, but gave me the number.  This was kind of tricky because I didn't have a pen or pencil . . .so I used my pocket knife to scartch the number on the back of my checkbook.  As soon as we got to the restaurant, I used one of their pens to darken the number so I could have Rob call his nephew.

After lunch, we met the nephew at a freeway off-ramp and he led us to his home.  We were pleasantly surprised to see that he was living in a beautiful home with a beautiful family.  His little boy greeted us as soon as we walked through the door.  Not a bit shy, little Elias was immediately our friend.  In a few months, the little guy will have a new brother or sister.

We had a great visit, making the all-important trip to see Elias's room, playing hide and seek with him and just hearing how their lives were going.  Rob hasn't seen his nephew as a grown man, so it was a change from what his imagination held from years ago.  Though the visit was short, it held promise for a future relationship with these wonderful young people and a chance to have additional "grand-babies" to love and cherish.

From there we went along to visit Rob's dad.  This is a precious relationship.  Rob's parents separated when he was young and there was a step-dad in his life for most of his growing up years.  There wasn't any real closeness for Rob and his father.  Years ago, they just didn't agree on anything and his dad didn't want him around.  Last August, on a whim, we showed up at his front door.  Surprised, he welcomed us with open arms.  We have been in contact by phone or visit since then.

He such a special man.  He worked hard all his life, though uneducated, to support himself.  He built his own little home - the walls are about 2 feet thick - and has been there for many years.  He's lonely now.  His children are all far away and don't come to visit often.  Whatever the reasons for their separation, those times are gone and it's time to renew and refresh. 

Rob has developed such a love for this man who left so long ago that it just makes my heart swell with joy!  However long they were apart, they are truly father and son now.  He wants us to come and stay the night, but I know we won't sleep in that little house.  We have to bend to get through the bathroom door!  There's a little motel nearby and we have promised to make a longer visit soon.

After visiting "papa", we also stopped to see the last of the uncles just a block away.  He's getting older, too, but Rob has such vivid memories of him.  He tells me that he would watch him rise every morning and scrub his face.  For some reason, that memory is strong and warming to Rob.  I wish I'd had a chance to know these men when they were a bit younger.  Rob's history is tied up in them and I see glimpses into the past as we talk.

So yesteday was a family day. I am so rich!  When I married Rob, I got aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters and a father-in-law.  It may not mean much to you, but all of the older generation of my family has passed on and with them, the history of who we are.  Rob and I have living history together.  I think that's cool.

Have a great Sunday.  I know we will.  Blessings, Penny

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos Penny, you obviously had a wonderful day with your extended family. :-)  Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing those wonderful photos with us.  So glad that you had a wonderful time.  I know what you mean about wishing you had known the men when they were younger. I would so like to have known quite a few people I have been researching for the family tree.

Anonymous said...

Penny, this is a reflective time for a lot of us, i believe. I understand everything you wrote about. When we are young, unless we are wise beyond our years, we dont quite "get" how important those older than us are or how precious life is or can be. Rob sounds like a very very loving and understanding man and it warms me to read that you share in his joy and family. I am so glad you were able to go see his family. Its a gift he was able to reconnect with his dad. You are in my thoughts! Love, lisa

Anonymous said...

Family is a wonderful thing.  A true blessing!  Glad you had a wonderful visit.  I like that my family lives far, far away... we have a great time when we do see eachother and then we all go back to our homes and don't argue because we miss eachother a lot.  It's 963 miles one way to get home for me.  Nice long drive from "h-e-double- you know what"... any then you feel like you are going to pass out from winding roads and all you want to do is sleep when you get there... but you are too excited to go to bed... and then you get to talking and no one will let you sleep until they are sure you are really delirious from the drive and talking!  By the time we pull back into Florida we need a vacation to recover from the vacation to go home.  
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow, Penny, this made my heart leap for you!!  How wonderful this must have been!  And we got to see the photos :-) Take care, love! xox

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. My dad and I (actually all of my siblings too) pretty much lost all contact with our dad after our parents divorced too. I was 13 at that time so I really felt it when he was gone. We are trying to work things out.
I am so happy for your husband, it sounds like they have a great relationship now.

Many blessings to you all,

~Angela
http://journals.aol.com/alilcountryangel/SmalltownBlessings/

My Scrapbook Journal:
http://journals.aol.com/lilcountrycharm1/LilCountryCharm/

My PSP Creations Journal: