Friday, September 17, 2004

POLITICS!

Went out for a while today to get networking stuff for my computer.  I always seem to forget what seems to be the most important thing when I get home.  We like to listen to oldies while driving.  Kinda makes us remember that we were young once.  Somehow, though, we got some people on talk radio discussing the merits of the major party candidates for president.  Actually, discussing is too kind a word.

I was in a crisis in another country during the last presidential election and though registered, was unable to vote.  It's a privilege, you know, to take part in the choosing and electing of our governing officials.  We're free to do so.  And like my son, I wish the time was already here.  I've made my decision for president. None of your business.  I'm going to vote and if he makes a mistake, I can complain about it. 

I just can't stand all this petty backstabbing the candidates are doing.  One of them is going to win, for heaven's sake.  When it's all over are they going to hate each other, continue this nastiness?  I can't get used to it.  It would sure be refreshing to have a candidate that only wants to serve and doesn't care about putting the other guy down. Then we could actually look at a candidate and judge his worthiness on true performance and his character.  Maybe I'm dreaming. A perfect world it's not. 

I hope everyone out there is registered and will make their voice heard.  Even my little daughter wants to get involved in the process.  She's chosen a candidate, has a wash off tattoo on her arm and throws away the other guys pamphlets and buttons.  Good girl!  I'm proud.  She's new to the U.S., you know, just 2 1/2 months here and already getting some opinions about the place.  Not bad for a 10 year-old, huh?

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John's Mom!  Said so eloquently!  You must be very proud of your children!  Here here on your entry!  Very well said!  I agree!  ~Val
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

Welcome to J-Land!  In answer to your question, you bet I'm registered to vote!!!!  Nagged all my kids to death until they finally had enough and got registered.  Your son is awesome by the way....he sure keeps my brain in constant motion.  Great job!!!!  LOL

Be blessed......Trina
http://journals.aol.com/trinainmobile/Reflections

Anonymous said...

Hello John's Mom-Cool of your son to post your link!  
Congrats on your new AOL Journal! _rrose

Anonymous said...

I whole-heartedly agree with you about the importance to vote . I am on the road  quite a bit for my career and it made me so mad this year when I had trouble applying for and recieving my absentee ballot. The process for my home state was so compllicated and overbearing that it's no wonder most absentees dont bother to vote . You'd think a swing  state would WANT their absentee ballots to POSSIBLY make a difference in the way the election proceeds .


If you don't use your vote  you have NO buisness complaining about the State of The Union .  Period .

Again ...welcome to J-land hun !

~Erin  

Anonymous said...

Hi there - Welcome to Journal land! - your thoughts on politics are right on! :-) And very cool that your daughter is already so smart!!

Holly - TexasInHeart

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I read your sons journal daily.  I think the work you did in Mexico and continue to do here is great.  And Andrea is adorable.  I can see why you adopted her.  The best of luck to you---Scott

http://journals.aol.com/sekirley/LifeSaver

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us some stories of when John was little. I always love those stories, especially since it's those stories the kids don't want their parents to talk about. Come on, anything really cute and funny?! I agree about the candidates nit picking at each other, they should just say where they stand and leave it at that. Oh well, you know what they say about politicians. I also agree with that if you don't vote you shouldn't complain about who takes office, they've made their "vote" by not voting. Anyway, welcome to J-land!!!

Blessings!!! :D

http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies

Anonymous said...

Hi John's Mom- I keep hoping your son will stop by and put a famous entry in my journal and at one point I thought he did and I was so disappointed to find out later it was someone else... oops.  Well, in the meantime I have discovered we have some ministry background in common.  I welcome you to Journal Land and know you will be a fine addition.  I have a private journal but invite you to check it out and will add your screen name to my list of approved readers!  Check it out when you have time.
Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/

Anonymous said...

Welcome to J-Land! I, too, wish candidates didn't see the need to take so many stabs at each other. Such drama. Well the final curtain will come soon!

Vivian

Anonymous said...

HHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY  JOHNS MOM!!!!!!
Welcome to J-Land
(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
Chelle

Anonymous said...

Welcome to J-Land. I am with you about the nastiness which politicians seem to think they have to use, it's actually quite upsetting. Yes, I vote, as does my daughter and partner. Enjoy your journal. Blessings, Margo

Anonymous said...

Hi, Welcome to AOL-J.  I've read your other journal a few times...way back when...  Glad to have you in the community.

I hear you about politicians. No one actually tells us what they WILL do for our country.  Instead they tell us what 'the other guy' WON'T do - even if it's an out and out lie!

It disgusts me.  It seems I'm always left with choosing the lesser of two evils.  Sad.