Monday, December 18, 2006

I'm Okay - Really

                                

I've got two angels on my shoulder

Thank God for the life of our family!    I'm sorry I waited so late to make an entry.  I truly want to thank you for your concern for us.  Here's what happened and the updates.

Rob was up early.  He was concerned for us because the house was very, very cold.  He turned up the heat and lit a burner in the kitchen.  We had left the heat on low during the night and had asked them to leave their door open so the room would not be so cold.  The girls also got up early to get ready for church.  I slept in.

I heard Rob and the girls trying to wake me.  I just couldn't wake up.  My head was pounding so I just snuggled back into the blankets.  When I finally did rouse, I was disoriented and could not wake up fully.  Even coffee didn't help.  1 bird was dead and 3 were dying.  A nurse friend told me to go outside because Rob had said it was carbon monoxide that killed the birds.  I stayed outside until Rascal died in my hands, about 45 mins to an hour.

Then I came back inside, sat in my chair in the living room.  It was nice and warm.  In a little while I began to feel worse and asked Rob to turn the heater off.  I went to the bedroom.  I didn't get better.

We went first to urgent care then to ER.  They took me right in.  I was treated so nicely even though I was really out of it.  After tests determined I had carbon monoxide poisoning, they put me on 100% oxygen.  They also did a CT scan on my head (apparently I still have at least some of my brain in there).

I stayed some hours before being released to come home.  I went straight to my room and to bed.  Iwas still way too sick.  I was going to make an entry, but could only type just a few words.  That's what you got.

Our landlord bought carbon monoxide detectors and new smoke detectors last night.  After a look at the insides of the heater, he also bought us a new heater.  The range is basically new, so we are all right now. 

I still have a blinding headache.  I'm a tad afraid of the heater.  I know it's safe - we have the detector and the light is green - I can see it from my chair - still, I am a little freaked.  We could have died!  For the cost of a CO2 detector, this never would have happened. 

Please,  IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR . . . GET ONE!  Our landlord bought ours, but it's not worth putting it off.  Please don't let cost make you wait. That thing was up before I went to bed last night.  Well, I was already in bed . . . but before I went to sleep.  My sister, her husband and grandson were poisoned several years ago.  She was in the hospital several days.  Their grandson survived only because he screamed all the way in the ambulance. 

Again, thank you so much for your concern for us. 

              

                   Rob, Penny, Andrea, Lupe and Kayla

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny, I am so glad you all are okay.  

Love, Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOUALL)))))))))))))))))))))))I am so glad you all are ok.That is so scary.God was watching over you.I hope and pray you are feeling one hundred percent better.Have a nice night.

Anonymous said...

so glad you are ok :) years ago we had this happen we lived in a trailer and the heater was really old. i kept having headaches feeling like crap. The heater wouldn't come on so the landlord called the repair guy he came out and found a crack in the heater it was letting carbon monoxide in the trailer. we spent 1 night without heat. we were ok with that:) after the new heater got put in no more headaches:) glad the family is ok and you have detectors in place:) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are OK.  I am sorry about your birds though.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

how scary but so happy you are ok. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

how scary! so glad you are ok!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank God you're all OK!  I missed your post yesterday, so I just started reading this one- and knew at first what you were talking about!  I'm so sorry about your precious birds though- but am very Grateful you all are OK.  Understandable about still being a little afraid, but CM Detectors are pretty reliable, so glad you've got one now.  God continue watching over you!  Love Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are okay, Penny...that was too close. Sorry about the birds, I know how much you loved them. Your warning comes none to soon with the winter season upon us. Yes, you have Someone watching out for you. Bea

Anonymous said...

dear Penny, whew! I'm so glad that youare alright!
I was freaking out when I read that you had carbon monoxide posioning! Ecckkk!
Gee I did not know that there are carbon monozide detectors..who sells those?
hugs and get well! love you and the family,
natalie

Anonymous said...

What a shock for you all.  I hope you are feeling calmer and a bit better soon.  Hugs.  Terry x

Anonymous said...

Penny, I'm so glad you're all OK now and the landlord sorted out the heater for you. Carbon monoxide kills a few people every year, I'm so terribly sorry you lost your birds. I know how much they meant to you but I'm so happy your family are all OK. Glad you got the detector now. Jeannette xx  http://beta.journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

Very relieved to hear you're OK now, sorry your birds didn't make it. I'm glad your landlord took it on himself to fit a CO-detector for you.
Merry Christmas to you all,

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

our realtor bought us a carbon monoxide detector at closing when we bought our home. I would not live in a home without one. I am TRULY SO glad you are going to be ok. What a terrible scare. The Lord WAS watching out for you all.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

So glad everyone is ok.  I am so sorry about the birds though.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

So glad you are all ok.  Have a Merry Christmas!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Penny!  I am truly glad that your landlord was so responsive, so quickly.  Take care, get well and thoroughly enjoy the Christmas holiday!

Anonymous said...

so pleased you and family are ok! I hope you all have a Merry Christmas...

Astra!

Anonymous said...

I`m so pleased that you are all ok Penny, you have a very good landlord to sort things out so quickly.

Hugs Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Penny!

Please take care!  We can't lose you!  When is ENOUGH ENOUGH???  I'm sorry you lost your birds, and I'm so glad we didn't lose you!

Love and Hugs!
Darlene

Anonymous said...

Glad your ok penny, must of been some angels watching over you girl!

hugs
angelrose

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are okay.

Anonymous said...

    That is one scary story, Penny.  I'm glad you posted this.  Everybody should have a carbon monoxide detector in their home.  You never know.  We had problems with our heater a few years back, when the house was less than ten years old.  We found out that our heater had been recalled, and our house could have burned down !  I hope that people dont wait until something happens.  It could be too late then.  thanks for the public service.  And I am soooo glad that you are all okay.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi, hon. I haven't been making comments cause I've not felt up to reading much, but after reading this *had* to leave a comment. GOD is so faithful! I almost died from the same thing once ( me, Johnny and our son Christopher - who was just a few months old at the time). Here I am, today, alive and well, able to praise God for his constant goodness, His mercies, kindness and understanding. Have a Merry Christmas, dear one. May God hold you always - safely in His hands.
Love
Barb- http:journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY