Monday, August 21, 2006

My Past Year in J-Land

                                        

I know I showed off this lovely cake before, but today we get to eat it! Yummy!  I spent a couple of hours last night in the Anniversary Chat.  I met some new people, laughed hysterically at some of the comments, got to walk down the red carpet.  Of course I didn't win Best Dressed because I forgot to put the picture of my outfit in my journal. For your edification, I wore a slinky red dress which showed off my curvaceous body, shoes to match, a red Gucci bag, and stunning diamond and ruby necklace, rings, earrings and bracelet.  These were on trial from the jeweler and wouldn't you know they took them back just before the photo op.  I know I could have won.

The chat was lively, sometimes outrageous and I found myself laughing hysterically at some of the comments.  I met Stevie of video fame after he finished hosting the UK chat.  I also had a chance to meet new friends and chat with some cherished friends as well.  It was wonderful.

Krissy has  asked us to do an anniversary adventure by sharing our last year in J-Land.  As you know, her husband John is back in the hospital again, but both of them truly want us to carry on.

                              

My last year in J-Land has been tumltuous, wonderful and hectic.  The day we found out about the ads, I spilled coffee on my laptop.  I ruined it, and it would be several months before we could replace it.  I did my first meme in November, asking people to share their gratitude every day for the whole month.  It was great. Did the same meme for Christmas memories.

In January, two little girls came to stay with us while mom was in the hospital seriously ill.  The girls are now a permanent part of our family because mama passed away in February.  We thought we were through taking in kids, but God had other ideas. 12 and 13 is a difficult time for girls and I didn't do too well when my daughter was that age, so I guess the Lord wants us to work on it.  Our 13 year-old has Downs Syndrome and she is a joy - much easier than the two 12 year olds.

I spent so much time reading journals at times that my wonderful hubby was beginning to think I had abandoned him.

I've had a rough time the last few months and J-Land has stuck by my side.  Many have IM'd me with encouragement and prayers.  Others have sent e-mails and e-cards.  So cool to see them in my inbox. And now I have received 4 postcards: from PA, Missouri and Florida.  Thanks guys, they really lifted my spirits. 

J-Land has become such a close-knit community and I am proud to be a part of it for 2 years now.  If I could meet you all in person, that would be my greatest wish.  I'd like to be with Krissy right now, holding her hand, encouraging her and John through this rough time.  I'd like to visit Mosie's farm and play with the filly and see Robin's new home before Michael gets transferred again.  And Pamela is just a coule of hours away.  I'd love to go to Ohio to see my son and drop by Lisa Jo's house to hug and encourage her . . . . well you guys know what I mean . . . not enough room to mention them all here.  Suffice it to say I have met and made some wonderful friends here. 

My past year has been filled with ups and downs.. . .the death of my birds, now replaced with 16 more of various breeds and needs; cutting my hours at work; starting to swim after nearly 25 years, and learning just how precious my family is to me.  I know AOL-J hasn't done these things, but I am able to share my thoughts and feelings here without fear of repercussion.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, J-LAND!! 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love knowing you!  Someday I hope we can meet, you are a wonderful woman and I admire so many things about you.  

Sisters in Christ,
RObin

Anonymous said...

It is a pleasure to know you.  I wish I could have made it to the US chat last night but it was way too late as you know.  It was lovely that so many US journallers popped into the UK site earlier.  This is the best community that there is.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Hello,
You attended the anniversary chat last night, although it was probably after I went to bed at 5.30PM your time (I'm in the UK). Hope you enjoyed the chat, looks like it if I read back the chatlog. You can do so too, by visiting my journal, link below.
Hope all goes well for you in the next 12 months.

Best wishes,
Guido

http://journals.aol.co.uk/pharmolo/NorthernTrip

Anonymous said...

Good entry!  Happy anniversary.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Yours has always been one of my favorites, Penny.... so homey and comfortable and warm. I'm glad I met you here. Bea

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny and thank you for stopping by my graphics journal today. JLand really is a place where you can share your fears and frustrations, isn't it? I hope this coming new JLand year brings nothing but peace, happiness and prosperity to you and your family.
Happy Birthday to us!!!
Dianna
http://journals.aol.com/sazzylilsmartazz/DiannasMindlessMusings/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your past year in J-Land. You are always honest and straightforward. That's why it is a joy to know you. Happy 3rd anniversary and may you have more blogging years to come. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to wish you a Happy J-Land Birthday!

~Mandy~

Anonymous said...

Jland is indeed the place where good people shine... and your glow is always warm and cozy!  Where does the time go?  May we all celebrate many more years together in our special communtity of talented, loving, caring journalers!
Blessings and hugs, Michelle  
http://journals.aol.com/inafrnz247/Reflections/

Anonymous said...

day late....  but happy b-day in j-land

Sharon

Anonymous said...

You are precious to me.....i love you so much....we have been together here for 2 yrs....always with WISE words from you...i wish you and i were closer because i need to be mothered and i know you would mother me!! Please always know how special you are....you are a treasure!
XO lisa jo

Anonymous said...

dearest Penny,
(((((Penny is sooo cool!)))))
thank you for being an awesome friend and a great story teller here! I have loved hearing  about your family, birds, fellowship and your love of life!
Love and joy to you Penny!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Aww happy J'Land birthday to you too :-) Thank you for your comment in my journal, I have left my link at Krissy's and I'm praying for her and John. It's great to meet you :-)
hugs n love Debbie ~xxxxx~
http://journals.aol.com/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

I love you Penny.  I wish I was with you also.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

J-Land is a hoot.  I love it too.  Thanks for all that you do, for Journals, and for children. Good going.

Anonymous said...

J Land is awesome!  Great memories of the past year.
Hugs,
Lisa