Saturday, May 20, 2006

Learning new things

                   

This just looks so inviting and spring-like.  We actually have a small arbor over our front gate, but nothing quite so lovely.  Ours has Passion Flowers:

                         

and Star Jasmine.  The Jasmine smell heavenly and the Passion Flower looks heavenly. This is the time of year for both to bloom.  I really take great pleasure in that little white gate and its arched flowers.  I dreamed much of my life of having a white fence around my house and this is just the icing on the cake.

I haven't been online too much the last few days because I have been sick.  That cold or flu that's going around has come to my house.  My voice is gone and I have been coughing like crazy.  I'm achy all over and today I think I have a fever.  I had to come to work anyway.  Thank goodness its slow today.  I think everyone is attending the Strawberry Festival nearby.  I bought strawberries and cherries yesterday and gorged myself.  At least it was fruit and not chocolate.  After today, I have 4 days off to get well.

It's beautiful and sunny here today.  I see summer on its way.  Tomorrow we may have up to an inch of rain as the rainy season tries to squeeze one more good storm out before summer.  The girls are also looking forward to summer.  Andrea and Kayla will go to summer camp with church and quite possibly youth camp after that.  I believe Lupe may attend summer school. 

I have very funny news to share about Dufus and Sunny.  Dufus

        

has been my boy ever since we came back from Mexico.  He is so attached to me that he won't let others near me when he is on my shoulder.  Then we got Rufus, renamed him Sunny after Dufus took a romantic interest in him and all was looking good.  The other morning Rob came in and said he had a surprise for me.  He said, "Sunny is Sonny and Dufus is a girl!!"  He then explained to me in graphic detail what he had seen.  Sooo . . . we are going to have to get a nest box soon.  Ya learn something new every day. 

Be blessed in the Lord today

 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, your flowers are amazing!!  Wish I was there to enjoy it, but the pictures sure are lovely...
Secondly, did I send my Bronchitis with my last comment?  I surely hope not!  Wishing you a fast recovery!!  Be careful working through a bad cold, it could put you in bed for a week.
Lastly, the same thing happened to the Cockatiels we once had.. Purdy and Zeeker.  Purdy passed away suddenly and when Mr. Zeeker started laying eggs, we realized the mistake we made!!  She quickly became Zeeka!
Have a great weekend!  Michelle  

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are really beautiful.  Funny story about the birds!  What a surprise, huh?  The birds are so pretty and colorful! Sounds like you are planning a nice summer so far.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Don't get watching too much of those birds at their Spring antics - it might be catching. Keep laughing.
Sylvia xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sylviam4000/YeOldeEnglishPosy/

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL PIC'S.............................STORMIE

Anonymous said...

ohhhh they are so beautiful!!! Congrats!!!
Carlene
http"journals.aol.com/tendernoggle/HORSESHOEBEND/

Anonymous said...

Penny, I hope you get to feeling better. I know the other night when I IM'd you, you had mentioned you were achy. Your pictures are beautiful. I've never seen star of Jasmine, they sound divine. If that is your yard, you have your own paradise on earth! Love the arched gateway. Today, I found two critters who miss the pond more than we do. I wrote in my blog about them. Get well, Penny. Bea

http://journals.aol.com/bgilmore725/Wanderer/entries/1131

Anonymous said...

Oh, gee, you're going to have more grandchildren!!!  Too funny (and cool)

Be well, feel better!

Anonymous said...

Very funny about the birds!!  What a beautiful flower the passion flower is.  I'm so glad Andrea has the other girls around here to be with too.  Friends really seem to help my three have a full life.  Aaron is the one who takes longest to find new friends in our neighborhood as not that many his age are on our street.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers:) sorry you are not feeling well:( i hope you feel better soon:) interesting birds :) Have a good sunday

Deb

Anonymous said...

awww love birds?? LOL

Anonymous said...

So funny about the birds! The photos are beautiful. Hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your days off. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

Very nice!!!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the nice comment you left on my journal for my little dog.  I'm not sure where you live in So Cal but I live in Santa Maria.  When I saw you mention strawberries I figured it couldn't be too far from me since we have a great strawberry crop here.  Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate it.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Hello Penny,  Sorry to hear that you`re not feeling well, it sounds the same as the nasty bug we`ve all had lately, do get well very soon.  LOL at your birds, glad they sorted out whos who now!  We have Jasmine and the smell is wonderful, it grows just outside our back door and in the Summer the scent wafts into the kitchen. :o)

Sandra xxxxx

Anonymous said...

so we may be having baby birds?  that would be so cool.
they are beautiful birds.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better.  When do we expect the babies?
Lori

Anonymous said...

LOL on Sonny and Dufus.  Will you be changing her name, LOL?

Krissy at Hope Lodge
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!
The flowers are lovely. My rosebush needs something to hold it up, it just keeps getting longer branches and heavier roses so it just lays down. Your birds sure keep you guessing don't they! Dufas is an ok name for either, wouldn't you think? :)  I'm so sorry you are sick, that stuff just seems to be everywhere! I'm doing good, except I did copy you and took a big tumble! I went to a wonderful  Oasis convention over the weekend, heard some awesome testimonials!!  And I start a new job today, one that I feel God has his hand in (his good hand!).  If you get a chance read my last 2 or 3 entries it tells all.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Big Hugs and Blessing to you and your family!
Darlene
http://journals.aol.com/djohn52/AgeingGracefullyWithAllTheHelpIC/

Anonymous said...

thank you Penny fora lovely entry!
hugs,natalie