Friday, January 7, 2005

Really not much to say today.  Just want to check in and write down what's happening.  It's been raining pretty heavily here since about 3 am.  They are saying that it will continue until Tuesday.  We got a few minutes respite from it, but weathercasters tell us we might as well stay in.  Roads have been flooded already and there is concern that this "warmer" storm will cause a huge snow melt and mudslides in the burn areas.  Our partners in Mexico are in a deluge.  The roads are already washed out and very muddy.  I hate to say it yet again, but boy am I glad to be out of there!  Andrea is already stir crazy and a little weepy because she won't get to go to the Farmer's Market in the morning.  Ah well, winter.

Hank told his renters this week that they will have to move out.  He's going to fix the plumbing and rent the house to us.  It will be 3 or 4 months, but we will finally get a home of our own!  It's been a long time.  Of course, we thought of the ministry house as our home, but since we've been here, we have lived on Hank's generosity.  The house is a smallish two bedroom with a fenced front and side yard.  He's thinking of adding a deck on the back for barbecue, etc.  It also has a bathtub - my great desire!  Rob likes a shower most of the time, but I love to soak.  Helps my achy bones.  I'm trying not to get too excited.  Anything could happen between now and then.  Still . . I'm jazzed, guys!  A place of our own!

Dufus, the famous sun conure got to go for a ride yesterday.  He squawks like crazy whenever I go out the front door so Hank said to check his wing clips and take him with me.  We went out to mail a package to Rob's dad and took the bird.  He was on my shoulder looking around for the whole ride, but skittered into my shirt once we went into the store.  He hung there kind of like "Kilroy was here" - little claws hanging on the neckline and his bright orange head peeking out to see what was going on.  It was kind of fun.  I had hoped to take him to Farmer's Market tomorrow just to show him off.  I really love that bird.

I have to get up early tomorrow to write the ministry letter.  After much self-debate, I've decided to write the letter every two weeks instead of every week.  It was different when I was in the middle of it.  I always had material.  Now I depend on Jon and Arlene to update me.  They just don't have the same priorities.  I think everyone will understand.  I'm one of the only missionaries I know that sends updates this often.  Most are monthly or quarterly.  See me patting myself on the back?  I've been writing it once a week for 5 years, with very few missed weeks.  I deserve a little rest.

With that said . . . I'm going to bed. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have gotten so much rain here as well.  It is killing my fibro...achey, achey muscles.  Your tub idea sounds great about now!  I loved hearing about your bird..gave me the biggest smile :-)!  We have Farmer's Markets here as well.  Aren't they fun!  I will pray for your area and the mudslide issues as well as Mexico.  Do you send out your ministry letter?  Is it on the internet?  Have a good weekend, love!!  xox

Anonymous said...

We had gales with the rain last night - should've seen me at 5.30am - chasing dratted dustbin lid up the driveway before it hit the car, dressed in my nightclothes! Keep smiling, spring is around the corner.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

We had an icestorm here in Missouri. No fun!
So happy for you about the house! Take care and God bless, Beckie
http://journals.aol.com/beckieramos/BeckiesBrightBeginnings

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!  Wow, seems like yesterday we were just instant messaging about the house situation!!  God sure does answer prayers and I am really happy for you!  Especially that it sounds so cute and cozy and nice!!  You are gonna love your bathtub and Andrea is going to be in third heaven decorating her room!!  : )
Lisa