Sunday, January 9, 2005

Birdies in a deluge

I open my eyes and stretch.  It's been pouring all night, but for now I don't hear the rain.  I cock my head.  What is that I hear?  Birdies!  Thousands (I think) of them in the trees outside.  Chittering and chattering, it seems they are making the best of the bird seed whe have scattered about the yard, in feeders and on top of things.  They almost sound frantic.  It's also a happy sound.  I love to hear them chirrupping to each other.  "Hey!  There's good seed at Hank's house and lots of it!"  "Quick before it rains again!"  "Don't forget Junior!"  . . . . and on it goes.

Shortly, I hear a sprinkle or two and the chirping changes.  Suddenly, it's a deluge and the birds are silent again.  Are they huddled together in the tree?  Wings touching to keep warm and dry?  Do they know which branches offer the best seat?  In snowy country, the birds fly south for the winter.  We are south.  Poor birds.

God must have a plan even for these tiny little birds.  I haven't seen one lying in the mud in the front yard overcome by water.  And as soon as the rain gives just the smallest bit, they begin to sing again.  Somewhere in the Bible, I can't put my finger on it just now, it says that they neither toil or spin, yet always the Lord feeds them.  How much more we, who are called His children? 

It's raining harder than I've seen in years and there are floods and mudslides.  I am blessed to be warm and dry.  Huh!   The birds are singing again.  I didn't hear the rain stop.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has a plan for everything and everybody. Loved this entry. I love birds and hae always enjoyed listening to them early in the morning. Their singing reminds me of HE who gave them the song to sing. Hugs. *Barb*
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Very, very  nice entry. :-)

It's Matthew 6:26 - Observe intently the birds of heaven, because they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses; still YOUR heavenly Father feeds them. Are YOU not worth more than they are?

:-)

Anonymous said...

I just love the sound of birds as well!  What a lovely entry!  I have a birdfeeder outside my window.  My next-door neighbor does, too, so we have lots of birdies in tour lawns.  I love it!!  It is so nice to feed them!  I sprinkle some on the ground so the ground birdies get food as well.  <Smiling thinking of chirping birdies>. xox