Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Dreaming

Nearly every night, I have at least one dream.  When I wake up from one, I vow to remember the details, but sleepy as I am, do not write them down anywhere. By the time I awake again in the morning, they are gone forever.  On occasion, I remember many details and enjoy sharing my dream with my husband.

Robert, however, dreams nearly every night and vivdly so.  He never writes anything down, but will share his dream with me . . . in the minutest detail.  How he ever remembers is beyond me!  He tells of conversation, action, description of place and everything.  As I patiently listen, I am in awe.  They are not so good that he should write a book, but the man could at least write a soap opera.

I have a couple of vivd dreams that have never gone away.  One I had when I was just 8 years old.  I dreamed that my sister and her husband had invited me to their home to stay a few days and when they opened the door, it was a huge mouth and throat inside. The uvula was a huge and dangly thing and ever so scary.  I was frightened to death and wouldn't even consider talking to my sister for some time.  Trauma is the word you'd use today.  My sister soon calmed me down, though.  She sent a Ginny doll as a peace offering.  Funny though, I can still see nearly every detail in my mind's eye as if it were just yesterday.  Odd, huh?

The other dream was some 20 odd years ago when I was quite angry at my first husband for something he'd done.  I talkd to people about my rage, but eventually, it must have come out in my dreams.  I dreamed I found him in my home and started chasing him with a knife.  In short order, I had cut him up in little pieces and stuffed him under the floorboards of the house.  And just in the nick of time, too!  The police were banging on the door to get in!  When I awoke, I was out of breath and convinced that I had killed the man.  The feeling lingered for days, but I wasn't about to go out of my way to find out if he were truly alive.  Fortunately for me, it was only a dream.  I hate the thought I might have spent all that time jailed for murder . . .

Dreams have such an affect on our lives.  They warm and recall events, frighten us, even warn some of an event yet to come.  Maybe one day I'll put those that I recall on waking on paper before my next sleep and perhaps dream, washes them away.

Do you recall a dream that has stayed with you?  Want to share it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only recurrent dream I ever had was the one so many people mention:  I'd get on the bus and go to school, even go into class and sit at my desk... then realize I was naked.  Once I got past adolesence, that dream never returned.

Anonymous said...

I have had a few that have stayed with me, but one in particular was very strange.
I was about 8 or 9 yrs old and I went for a walk with my Dad.  The wind was howling and there were leaves blowing everywhere.  But it was silent, there were no people, no birds, no traffic anywhere.  We were all alone and I was very scared but Dad held me hand tightly and told me not to worry.  We just kept on walking but the silence was so eerie.  I woke up from that dream feeling so relieved.  I wouldn`t call the dream a nightmare but it is something I remember so clearly and I wonder if there is any meaning behind it    Sandra x

Anonymous said...

It is so amazing how a dream can be so vivid, so real that when we wake up we aren't so sure if it really was a dream.  
Micheyle
http://journals.aol.com/mommysquiettime/RedFlannelPajamas

Anonymous said...

I have had a lot of recurring themes in my dreams.  The one dream that sticks in my head the most vividly from childhood is one where I was standing in the kitchen with my mom and a friend I had invited over.  My friend and I were having races down the hallway.  I then realized that a vampire was down the hall.  I told my mom this.  She was still encouraging me to race down the hallway.  Then she kept on baking bread.  I did not understand why she would not protect me from the vampire.  I think I understand why I dreamt this.  I actually have a couple of dream books and understand alot of my dreams now.  I remember some of them vividly and some I do not, but I do think most dreams mean something and alot of our dreams are full of symbolism.  I might just do a journal entry about this.  Of course, I believe some dreams are just things we thought of that day.  Very interesting entry, Penny!!  Hope you are feeling well these days!!  xox

Anonymous said...

I've been recording my dreams for years, firstormkids04, and you are right. They do tell us something about ourselves. Particularly, I believe, in regards to matters of the heart and soul. I believe dreams are our connection to our Maker. The imagery of our dreams speaks to us in ways that words cannot explain. They are often metaphorical, layered with meaning. It takes time and much reflection over the meaning of the symbols we encounter to understand the guiding message that may be trying to enter our consciousness. Since you like to write, if you have the time, any time, especially soon after you wake up, to write them down, you may come to see a pattern of images and feelings that will point you to what you are searching for. I have made life-changing decisions based on the messages I encountered in my dreams. I know I'm a year late in sending you this response, however, I only yesterday discovered your son's journal, and today, I read your comment to his entry. Happy Thanksgiving, 2005! God Bless!! Bea