Monday, May 28, 2007

MEMORIAL DAY

Okay, okay!  I haven't posted since Mother's Day.  That's what I planned for this morning.  I've had some rough days if you must know . . .

You're right, today is the day we celebrate Memorial Day: 

General John A. Logan
Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, [LC-B8172- 6403 DLC (b&w film neg.)]

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee. © 1994 - 2007 David Merchant
Updated 28 April 2007

There are a lot more stories and information on the site, including the claim that it was originally called Decoration Day.  The women of the south would go on this day to lay flowers on the graves of those who died in the Civil War. You can go to this site to learn more.  I found it very interesting.

Memorial Day to me is not a day for picnics, getting drunk or for going 400 miles away from home only to race back Monday night to make work on Tuesday.  Yes, we all enjoy the days off, and picnics and trips happen, but what happens to the true explanation of the day?  For the most part it is forgotten and our children, grandchildren don't understand at all . . .

Every ounce of freedom that we have can be laid on the grave of a man or woman who gave life so that our country could be free.  It's hard to understand that just a few steps away, over the border from the US to Mexico there is a vast difference.  I lived in Mexico for 15 years.  Little by little I got used to their culture and little by little, I forgot the freedoms that we have as US citizens have.  When election time came around, I began to understand that in Mexico there is no real freedom of speech.  Christians are persecuted (especially those who went there to preach or teach the Gospel)  When I came home, I began to see what I had forgotten.  Some loud and brassy woman at the store began to tell the checker what to do politically.  In an insistent voice.  I was unhappy with the dialogue, not because she was right or wrong, but because she slowed the line down a lot.  In the car, I was so happy!  If you did that against one of their politicians, you'd be shot or sent to jail.  WE ARE TRULY FREE!!

There are young men and women dying now for our freedoms.  They are fighting against cruel dictators like Saddam Hussein and against terrorists who would see America and all Americans dead and gone.

Stop by a grave if you haven't already done so.  Say a prayer, write a dedication.  Do something to remind you what Memorial Day is about.  Teach your kids.  You will never regret it.

                    

This is my husband Robert.  He is a Vietnam War veteran.  He fought for our freedom, saw others die and came home from a war others despised.  This what is happening now.  Our brave military personnel are coming home from a war others despise.  Instead of counting the war dead, which we all do, let's start counting our freedoms.  Pray a blessing over those that have died in ALL wars and thank them and their families for making the ultimate sacrifice.

 

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Penny, thanks for sharing the history of Memorial Day. gg/Jackie

Anonymous said...

ggreat history of memorial day glad you are back Deanna

Anonymous said...

Great entry.  I prayed.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

What an excellent entry Penny- I was thinking earlier that it is sad that so many kids most likely have no idea why this holiday is or what it's about.  It's up  to us and those who have fought to keep them reminded.  I am making sure that our son knows why Daddy is home today- to remember Papa and others who fought in past wars, and those who are fighting now.  God Bless you both- and I do pray you're feeling OK.  Have a wonderful week Penny-Thank you Rob.  Love Carolyn :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a nice holiday.  It is a time to remember those who gave so much for us to be free....I hope we can hang on to our freedom.  THanks for the education too!  Have a nice week!  Maria

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I stopped by to read your entry!  It's true---we sometimes take our freedoms for granted, don't we?  I hope you have a great week!  Julie :)

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))Good entry,we should never forget what our Heros have done for us.I know people gather together for fun on this day,but,I also hope they dont forget what this day actulay is.Have a ncie week.

Anonymous said...

outstanding entry (as usual) I hope you had a peaceful day.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry.
Thank you Robert for your service in Vietnam!
I pray God's blessing on your family you have inspired me many times in your journal.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry, and i tend to agree a lot of people do not explain days like your memorial day our rememberence sunday to children. We have a lot of men and women to thank for our freedom today. I hope your rough days get better for you
katie

Anonymous said...

Amen sister friend. I count my blessings often. I know the sacrifice! I think it is great that you guys were missionaries. Our daughter Nikki want to be one. This year he is going on a short mission trip, and then next year she will be going to Africa for 2 months. I am telling you now that she has a passport she is ready to travel the world and share her love for God.
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and God Bless your wonderful husband and all the other men and women who have served in our military to help keep peace not only in our own country but for so many others who without our help only God kow's where they would be.  One of my daughter-in-laws father was a POW-MIA so she grew up only know about her hero father from her mother and older siblings.  Recently a young man we know stopped by to chat with us as he is home from Iraq for awhile but will have to go back before long.  What a fine young man he is and proud to serve his country.  I asked him some pretty direct questions about the war and he said if we weren't over there they would be over here. Sadly,  he came home to be with his family because his older brother had a motorcycle accident and didn't make it. My heart goes out to he and his single mother and all the rest of this family.  I am sure there are many stories like this and it's so very sad and yet our brave sons and daughters, husbands and wives go back out there and do their duty for life must go on.

Marlene - A Poet's Point of View

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!  So nice to get a chance to stop in and visit your journal!  Excellent post about Memorial Day!!!  Hope you are doing well!  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny... I hope the rough days are becoming fewer. Good post. My father served in Viet Nam as well. He seldom spoke of it. Robert looks well. Get better soon. bea

Anonymous said...

This was a nice entry  . . . I do hope you are planning on posting another entry soon. : )  Have a good week.

Phil

Anonymous said...

thanks so much Penny! an awesome entry!
love,nat