Monday, April 16, 2007

Ordinary Things

                    

Of course, having been dusted by a faerie isn't all that ordinary. However sometimes, just sometimes, I would like that faerie dust to be a reality.  Do you ever feel that way?

My days are only ordinary for me.  Often I sleep in, or can't move upon awakening.  Saturday  . . . or was it Friday?  Yes Friday, Rob and I (mostly Rob) cleared the sheets off the bed for changing.  The only items left on the bed were the pillows, the comforter and my red blanket.

Ordinary for me on Friday was to watch the puppies play, send most of my graphics,  pictures, etc., to my external hard drive then delete them from my C:// drive. 

I hadn't slept well and was in great pain, so I took a pain pill and lay down for a nap.  Rob came in with Rosie, one of our cockatiels - favorite and most loving.  He put her down on the bed with me.  There was light classical music on the cable music +.  It was so soothing that both Rosie and I fell asleep.  Rob came in to take her back, but she would have none of it!  She just stared into the television until she went back to sleep.  I think we had about a 3 hour nap.  That's sweet and ordinary around here.  I feel so content right now writing about our nap . . . ::big sigh::

Ordinary is also doing as many sit-down tasks as possible.  It's amazing just how many tasks there are.  More amazing than ordinary are how many tasks I can complete. 

Ordinary has changed for me in the last few years.  I'm not that old, but I have trouble walking more than a short distance or standing for more than a few minutes.  Mental illness has come into my life and it must be ordinary right now as well.  Here's the deal:  my life is great as it is.  The things I think I miss are things I wouldn't have done anyway.  I have joy in my heart and life with the exception of down days and who doesn't have those?

By the Lord's grace, I am just the way He wants me for now.  It's not a lesson in patience because He doesn't test us.  I just need to live in obedience to the Lord and to His written word.  Wow!  How cool is that?  How difficult is it for me to obey?  That's a whole other entry.

Ordinary for us is to hear birdsong throughout the day - cockatiels and little sparrows and other singing and chirping birds outside.  The chirping birds are off from here by the heat of the day, but still the cockatiels sing, whistle and call out.  Skipper gave me a wolf whistle when I reached in to give him fresh food.  I got a kick out of that.  As late afternoon comes about, we can hear the little birds outside again . . .stealing Sammy's food, drinking his water, ready to fill up for a good sleep in our trees.

Ordinary now are two Pomeranian puppies running around the house, tearing up paper, being stinkers.  The tiny little black one is Precious.  She's already a cave doggie.  Hides out from us.  Almost impossible to find with those jet-black eyes and black fur.  The brown baby is a cute little PIA. He wants to be in on it all.  If I start to give Precious attention, he pushes her out of the way (she gets back at him - she's short enough to run under his chin to steal his cookies).  He's chocolate in color with a beautiful gold ruff.  He's going to be a true beauty.

It's ordinary that this is a house of love.  It seems to rain down on us here so that we are drenched not only in God's love but filled up with love for each other and Him.  Many blessings and prayers to you all,

       

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

His love is amazing, isn't it?  There are so many times when that has been all that sustained me through a day.  Sometimes it is easy to get wrapped up in life and forget that His incredible love is always there even when we don't rest in it.

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't want to be enveloped in that love right now? I want an ordinary day... I love the ones I get. Just wish I could have more of them... I had a few last week during Easter week... it was fabulous to lounge around and not have to get up at 5:30 a.m.... and to take naps, and to play with my pups on the floor. I loved stepping out into the yard barefooted (a couple days before the cold snap hit us)... in one sense, such days are not so ordinary... I find them extraordinary, and I can tell that you do too. I lost a very dear friend during the night, just found out this afternoon, and it tore my heart ... only yesterday I had hugged this older man, this man who felt like a great uncle to me, who always sat just behind me in church every Sunday. He would hug me just before service started, and then during the service, when we were all called to stand and greet someone we hadn't seen all week, I'd hug him again. No Sunday passed without us getting in our two hugs. I almost didnt' get my second hug yesterday because I couldn't see him, he had gone off to hug someone on the other side of the church. Then, I turned around one more time looking for him, and there he was just getting ready to sit down. His soft eyes met mine, and he stepped back out into the aisle. I stood up, and we hugged one more time. A good strong hug. He felt so alive... he wasn't sick, he wasn't feeling bad at all. He was fine right up until he woke up in the middle of the night with pain... and was gone 15 minutes later, his wife said. I am going to miss this man so much. He was a good Christian, a reliable, thoughtful, giving member of the Body of Christ, and he was there for me every Sunday after my dad died. I am so going to miss our two hugs on Sunday. He was part of my very ordinary life, and now I know how extraordinary those two hugs really were.
Thank you for making ordinary feel so special. bea

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))Nice entry,I love the You've been fairy dusted Tinkerbell graffic,I aggree with you,I wish I can have some of the Pixi dust for real.God is good all the time,even in times of troubles.Have a goo night.

Anonymous said...

I like all of your ordinary things. Although, some of them  sound extraordinary.
Pam

Anonymous said...

SOunds like you have a good life!!! God bless you!
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

An extra ordinarily blessed ordinary life!!!!!!!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

You are blessed :)
Barbara

Anonymous said...

sounds like a wonderful life. I'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I loive your ordinary things and I would love to do more ordinary stuff

Take care

Cayasm

Anonymous said...

Ordinary doesn't mean bad, that is for sure!

You get to listen to pretty birds, I hear Canada Geese - their voices aren't so pretty, lol!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny
myf avorite part was where youw ere lying there with the cockateil ; listening to that wonderful music! I sure do hope that you feel better soon!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

I had fairies down the bottom of my garden, but the cat ate them!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

What a contented entry Penny!  You know, sometimes I could use some of that kind of spirit.  It sounds as though even with your pains, an ordinary life is a happy one~ I;m glad you have so much company during the days in your animals.  What would we do without animals?!!  God certainly is GOOD.  Hope you do feel better though Penny.  Have a Blessed Weekend.  Love Carolyn :)

Anonymous said...

Penny, I really, really loved this entry!
Lori