Wednesday, March 22, 2006

This and That

                                 

In a house full of pre-teen girls (often with PMS) I often get something like this happening.  It might end with " uh, well, uh - oh never mind" but a little frustrating all the same.  There seems to be a turf war of sorts happening here.  Kayla and Andrea each want the most attention and also want to be the "boss".  We keep telling them that the bosses here are "us", but they pay us no mind. One gets hostile and stamps her feet, the other whines about how poorly she's being treated. On it goes.  I guess God thought I needed lessons on teen interaction.  I sure hope He helps with the homework.  On the whole,it's both difficult and wonderful to have them here. If we survive this, we can survive anything.

                            

On another note, my son John has had some wonderful news.  His book, Old Man's War has been nominated for the prestigious Hugo Award!  He was also nominated for a Campbell Award as best new writer.  This is a very big deal in the science fiction world.  If you've a mind to, go on over and congratulate him.  If you haven't read the book, check Amazon for a great price. Now you have heard the "proud mommy rant".

I've cut my time at work to 3 days a week. It's really nice to have 3 weekdays at home with my family after working for a year.  Rob is happy to have me home, especially now that I've mostly recovered from my injuries after the fall. 

Oh! Wait! I have something to tell you!  We got a different car!  I haven't taken her picture yet, so I will tell you about her.  She's a metallic red (WHOSE favorite color?), 4-door, 4WD 1998 Ford Explorer with all the toys.  I am so tickled!  Rob hasn't even driven it yet.  He wants to give me time to get used to it.  As soon as I get a picture I'll post it.  Cool, huh?  New teeth, new car.  We have just had our socks blessed off. 

Off to get some rest before work tomorrow.  Keep praying and praising, it will bring joy into your life.

Blessings,

              

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine trying to keep up with more than 1 teenage girl at a time!

Anonymous said...

Oh Penny!  I laughed out loud when the card finished up!  I do not envy you with three pre-teens all under the same roof, all of the same sex!  I feel so blessed to have made it through those years without any discernible scars!

Congrats and the car and on John's accomplishment.  I shall visit and offer my congrats to him!

Anonymous said...

Penny God Bless you raising teenagers AGAIN!!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Kayla and Andrea will eventually realize you have enough love for both of them and they will stop fighting with each other. I admire you for taking on the challenge.

betty

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!

Cute card! I kept the sound off though! The last one I saw like this one had a pretty car traveling down a beautiful winding road with beautiful green grass surrounding it. Soft pretty music. So pretty and so peaceful! Then the car goes behind a hill, and you lean closer to see where it comes out at.  THEN this UGLY creature pops into the whole screen and SCREAMS at you! I SCREAMED as loud as it did and my heart was beating so fast I couldn't breathe! Then my whole body hurt! Soooo...needless to say I was VERY wary watching this one!

I went to Johns site and congratulated him. Even getting a book published is pretty neat, but getting nominations for best is GREAT!

I raised boys, so I'm getting my first experience with girls as grandaughters.  It is different!!

Glad you are feeling better, cutting work back to 3 days will definitely give you more time and a little less stress! Notice I said a litttle!  lol

Take Care and God Bless You!
Darlene
http://journals.aol.com/djohn52/AgeingGracefullyWithAllTheHelpIC/

Anonymous said...

good luck with raising 2 preteen girls!  lol
you must be very proud of your son.  these awards are really big deals!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Yes, I read John's book... the price has gone up since I bought it a few months ago. I believe he is going to win many other awards and accolades. He is quite a master of story telling. I'm so glad I discovered him when I did. He has renewed my interest in Sci Fiction. Nice car... can't wait to see the pictures! Bea

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, Penny.  Sounds like like is very full for you these days, and I am so happy to hear it.  Hang in there with the girls.  I grew up with three sisters.  There was lots of chaos, but we loved each other to bits !   Take care, Tina

Anonymous said...

Rejoicing with you in all your good news!!!  - Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi there hun! I didn't know you were John's mom..huge congrats to him for the nominations. Congrats on the new car! :-)

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/InMyLife

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
congratulations to John!
how wonderful!
youare such  a great mom! I have read Old Man's War, Agent to the Stars, and now I'm about to start his new book Ghost Brigades! fabulous! love you, natalie
ps Thanks for the brilliant cartoon! I love it!
nat

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the car!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink