Wednesday, March 29, 2006

"He's Been Here All the Time"

                          

I've been trying for some time to get this picture scanned, resized and framed so I could share it with you.

I only knew Angie for about a year, but my heart was touched the first time I saw her.  She looked very much like one of the moms we were involved with in Mexico.  Her brother shared her incredible story with us.  She had become terribly ill and they found out she needed a liver transplant.  She was at UCLA, her health dwindling to nothing as members of the family and church prayed in earnest for her to receive the liver and get a second chance at life.  The miracle happened at the last possible moment and Angie's life began anew.  She was able to go home to her two children; a sister named Lupe that she had been caring for since their parents died and her daughter Kayla. 

Week after week, Angie was faithful to bring her children to church.  Our relationship grew and we grew to love not only Angie and her brother, but the girls as well.  I gave her my phone number and asked for hers so we could stay in touch during the week.  I also told her to call on me for anything she needed.

Angie had it pretty rough.  She got better for a while, then seemed to be relapsing somehow.  She was losing weight and she missed church a few times.  After I talked with her brother, I learned she was having trouble with the new liver.  My prayers went out to her and to the girls.  She moved into a condominium with the girls and got them started in school.  She worked very hard to keep things going.  She had to go into the hospital a couple of times.

In January, Angie called me and said she needed to go to the hospital again.  She asked if Rob and I would take care of the girls.  Without hesitation, we said yes.  She had hoped to be in the hospital just a few days, but after just 4 days, she needed to be transferred to UCLA again.  When we spoke on thephone, she said to me, "Please take good care of my girls . . ."  We never spoke again.  Upon transfer, she was placed on life support.

Family and friends went to visit her.  She couldn't speak, but could write a simple note.  A call went out for another liver and a kidney to save her life once again.  She slipped further and further away.  While she could still communicate, her brother asked her what she was feeling.  She wrote, "Peace"

He asked, "What is God telling you?"

                     "He's been here all the time."   

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew....it's hard to type this with these tears in my eyes.  Sounds remarkably familiar as to when my Aunt died just a few months ago.    She was at total peace and knew HE was there with her.

Thank you for sharing the picture of Angie and for telling us her last thoughts...how lucky she was to have someone like you in her life.  You're an angel Penny.

Anonymous said...

Oh Penny...
Lisa

Anonymous said...

What a sad, sad story...but yet so inspirational and heartfelt at the same time. With tears in my eyes, I very much thank you for sharing that.

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you could help this young woman to take care of her girls. How sad that she should die so young. Jeannette.  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

That`s so sad Penny, such a young woman too.  I`m glad she had her faith to give her comfort.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

so sad.  so happy that she had been able to turn to you to take in her kids.  it takes a lot of trust and love to do that.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful tribute to your friend.  the peace she found as she neared the end is so inspiring... i know she is smiling down on you right now, and so is the Lord.  finding each other was all part of His plan, i believe.  you're a true blessing.
michelle

Anonymous said...

Penny~Beautiful is all I can say! Now she's with Him. I love your caring spirit so much. Hugs, Sassy ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD   <<<Easter poem I wrote here

Anonymous said...

Angie's story is really touching.  Glad you were able to share her photo.  How and where are the girls?  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

How nice for her family and friends to know that she felt peace and knew that He was with her always.  Beautifully told Penny.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful entry and what a beautiful lady.
LOVE,lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo and touching story. Do you still have the children??
If so lucky kids
maureen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the story of how you and Angie came to be friends.  She sounds like a beautiful person, and she certainly was blessed to have your friendship, Penny.  I'm sure that knowing the girls were in your good care brought her peace of mind at a time when she needed it.  Bless you !  Tina

Anonymous said...

This made me cry.  She sounds such a lovely person. God bless her.

tp://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!

What a beautiful young lady, it's so sad.  I can understand why you feel so close to the girls. Hope things are going well for all of you.

Bless You and Big Hugs!

Darlene

Anonymous said...

thank you Penny! what a story!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry--thanks for sharing this!  Julie :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to a beautiful soul!