Saturday, December 1, 2007

JOY, WONDERFUL JOY

            1st day of Advent - Read Romans 13:11-14*  Krissy knows so much about Advent, the wreath and candles, and the church's traditions during Advent.  I will be posting scriptures that I found on the internet.

I just got the picture below this morning.  If you want to speak of joy, wonderful joy, here it is:

      From left to right the girls: Paige, Kailani, Heather & Ashley ~ the boys: Zachariah & Isaiah (Jason behind camera) Don't they look great?  I can't believe how grown-up my grandchildren are.  Paige has been accepted into Chino State University!  Kailani and Ashley are out on their own.  Ashley spent spent a year with us in Mexico when she was 8.  She learned Spanish quickly and it was great watching her grow.  Kailani also came down to Mexico for a year, but had to leave because of vision problems.  Paige came for a year, but only stayed a couple of months.  It's hard adjusting to life in a children's home.  Isaiah was in Mexico for 3 months.  He was still an infant (and an adorable tiger).  I have other grandchildren, but these 5 (I'm so proud of their Mom!) I know better than the others.  I haven't seen Athena since she was 4 months old.  Son Robert's kids I haven't seen in eons.  Actually about 11 years.  Wow!  I didn't realize it had been that long.  My greatest wish would be to see them all together at the same time.  Maybe in a year or two.

Today we have very high winds here in Ventura.  Did I ever tell you that the real name of this city is San Buenaventura, given by Father Junipero Serra as he traveled the state building missions.  The mission was the 9th and last mission (1782) that he built before he died in 1784.  It's still an active Parish.         Amazing, yes?  I always wanted to live in a distinctive place.  My mother took me to see as many of the 21 California missions as she could when I was young.  There is a lot of history in our missions.

Rob and I are sitting in the living room watching the USC/UCLA game while eating pecan pie.  One of the players is down with a head or neck injury.  He got kneed in the helmet.  Wow!  He's walking off the field.  His number?  #1  For me, college ball is more interesting than pro.  Maybe because they are not jaded yet by high salaries and sponsors.  Many of them are there for the joy of playing the game.

That's why I am here today.  Just for the sheer joy of writing, remembering and sharing.  God has filled my heart with joy even in the toughest of times.  Grieving? I had such joy knowing this person.  And I can wipe away most of my negatives with joy.  Truth is, without joy, life would be boring, painful and probably friendless.  Why don't we all jump for joy right now??  If you can't jump, make the kids or the dog jump.  Make your spouse jump for joy!  We'll all be joyful, smiling or laughing and stress-free for at least a little while.  Whew!  I'm exhausted now.

With all that my friends. please know that I think of you often, pray for you daily and miss you when I can't get on the 'puter.  Blessings to you all, 

                                            

*(Rom 13:11) And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. (Rom 13:12) The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.  (Rom 13:13) Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy.

(Rom 13:14) But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful entry! and a lovely picture of your grandkids. Mine are all over too I would love to get everyone together for a family picture maybe someday but I have my doubts.
Joy what a wonderful word, what a wonderful feeling, God is so good to us.
Blessings.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

I can see you jumping for joy right now, Penny, LOL.  And making your poor pregnant doggie do it too, LOL.  Right now I am jumping for joy also, with my kitty, but John is asleep, LOL.  Penny, I am glad you have a good attitude.  Rejoice in the Lord always.  Not that you can't hurt, but rejoice in the Lord always.  Love you.

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))Beatiful entry.I lvoe the pic.they have beatiful smiles.Have a ncie SUnday/week ahead.

Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie!  Happy first Sunday of Advent!  What a special time to reflect.  Joy just might be my favorite word!!  I love the picture of your grandchildren.  I LOVE being a grandma =)!!  WOW!!  Wishing you a wonderful week next week, honey.  Love, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

I just jumped for joy just now- and you know what Penny?  It felt REALLY good to do that!  I need to do it more often, and teach my family to do it too!  God Bless you sister, and I am glad you're doing OK. God bLess and hope you have a wonderful week too~  Carolyn  PS_ you're grandkids are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful grandchildren... all of them!!!  I'm a So. Cal. native, and didn't know that 'Ventura' was a 'short' name... Hmmm... interesting!!   I've only seen a few of the missions.... maybe I should try to see more, huh??!!!

Take Care,
Joann

Anonymous said...

Are you from Ventura California? I live in riverside county! LOL
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not physically jumping for joy, but in my head I can SEE myself jumping for joy and it does feel good!  :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
You are indeed blessed!What a great group!
love,natalie