Sunday, September 2, 2007

Are you ready for this?

Good Sunday to all of you.  Most of you know that I'm a jump up and down, raise hands in the air, Bible-thumpin' holy roller.  No - I won't thump that Bible so hard - that I end up trying to shove it down your throat.  Holy roller is just what I am. If your worship is not the same or you are offended easily by people like me, read on at your own risk.  I make no excuses.  My God is the one for me.       

 

                     

I was reading a devotional this morning that really touched my heart and brought back some wonderful memories.  Even for some Christians, this may not be something liked or believed in.  I was the same way for many years.  I was brought up Christian, made my personal decision for him when I was 13.  My church was mainly Presbyterian with Lutheran generously sprinkled in.  Years passed & something in me changed.  This great change for me was this . . . are you ready?

             The baptism of the holy spirit

First let me tell you - if you accept Christ, right then you receive the Spirit of God in you.  The devotional uses Ezekiel 36:26, 27 as an early example of this.  Basically it says he will give you a new heart and spirit in you and you will walk His way and live by His statutes.  It was a promise to the Jews back then and to all of us now.  This in 1Cor 5:17 where the word says: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."   

Look at Acts 1:4,5.  Take time to read the whole chapter.   At that time, Jesus tells the disciples they will soon be baptized not in water, but fire.  It's wonderful!  I have known that promise and that is why I am writing this today.  I would like to share my memory of that day.

While reading,the devotional the Lord brought to my mind the day I received the Holy Spirit.  I had been so resistant . . . my old church? "others" out there who told me how stupid it was . . . too Holy Roller!  In the end it wasn't any of that.  It was the fear of what would be required of me . . . I was so close.  It was a Saturday afternoon, the fourth day of camp meeting.  I was in the parking lot  talking to Brother Robert, and he said to me . . . "you're not using the gift the Lord has given you!"  he placed his hand on my stomach, the other hand on my forehead.  Oh what a feeling!  Something rolled through me and I began to groan and speak words I did not know.  What power and joy overcame me!  I can not speak or write words sufficient to share the feeling.  Others saw it in me and gave thanks.

It wasn't the way I thought it would happen for me, in the church with people surrounding me in prayer.  I was in a parking lot speaking with an itinerant preacher and evangelist touching me gently and without another word . . . he let me find what was probably buried within me for many years . . . the Holy Spirit bubbled up from deep within me to set me free and give me the power He meant for me. 

Lord, as your Spirit comes from within me today, let me be all you want me to be for you.  Allow me to represent you by offering Jesus to all I meet, that they might feel your Spirit welling up from their very souls. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lord  In Jesus' name I pray   Amen
               
                             
 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Penny.  The first time it happened to me I was at home in my bedroom!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Penny what a beautiful moment in your life, thank you for sharing, your words were riviting, sent chills thru me......gg/Jackie

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))Beatiful,thank you for sharing.Nothing worng with being a Holy roller.Have a good evening.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was hard-hearted, for the same reason as you said, the fear of what would be expected of me, the changes I would HAVE to make, how I would be different... but when I had my moment of tranformation, it was joyful, and I cried from the sheer pleasure of the love I felt inside. Changes were made, of course, but no resistance to them. Mostly inside changes that affected what I did and said, and how I acted. THanks for your sharing your story. bea

Anonymous said...

As if I could have stopped reading ... that was ... powerful.

While I cannot claim to be a holy roller and I will not sit in judgement of another (that's not my place in the world), I have my own faith and practise it differently than you.

I am so very happy for you that you are willing and able to present your true faith and beliefs to the world.  God Bless you Penny.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

:) I fought receiving the Holy Spirit for a long time because I was afraid I would do something stupid. LOL. The stupid/prideful thing was not allowing God to do all he wanted in my life. The baptism has been awsome and I have never regretted  surrendering to HIM.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

AMEN PENNY!  AMEN!  Although I have yet to experience the total transformation- I do pray though for the Holy Spirit to come into my heart and life-and fill me to overflowing- Please pray for me there.  When I was younger and wasn't born again, I thought Christians were wierd when they talked about tongues and all that - and although I have yet to experience it for myself or to hear from another- I totally believe in it- because I believe on HIM!!!  Amen Penny- I am grateful you are my sister!  Love and all God's Blessings!  Carolyn :)

Anonymous said...

AMEN PENNY!!!!!!
LOVE YA,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

I think that the Spirit will find His way in no matter what the route. He will never stop trying, and He is just waiting for the moment we are finally receptive to Him. Glad you had your moment

Anonymous said...

Awesome!  Remember the feeling...always.
From my heart to yours with peace and love...Gloria, Kevin's mom

Anonymous said...

lord thank you for this wonderful woman...i was brought up in a holy roller church ...since have long for the old time gospel...havent found a church as of yet around where i live.... that can preach that old time gospel
speaking in tongues and  speaking the real truth of god....raiseing the hand to praise the lord

Anonymous said...

I like that, Penny:  "My God is the one for me."  Say it all.  Yes, I believe we're meant to reflect His mercy and grace, His unending Love.  xoxo CATHY

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know that feeling you're talking about!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,
I like the way you just 'dive into thestuff you know to be true and RIGHT--like God's Word, the Bible !  I am sure you and your husband have alot in common with me.  I ama disabled Vietnam Veteran: 1968-70, two tours of duty in RVN- Aviation, Helicopter door gunner.  Thank you for thekind comment on my Blog/ Journal post!   My Christian ministry [of sorts] reaches out to all honest hearted people who seek the Lord Jesus for salvation and everlasting life-- but especially those who are COMBAT VETERANS fro many era.   Go figure:  If people had such a hard, mean life on earth-- why should they want to spend eternity in HELL !  True Christianity is not EASY, but what are the options?
  Penny, bless you efforts to reach people to cheer them up and tell them about SALVATION in Christ.  Feel free to check out my AOL Blog / Journal,  'Old Soldier Tom's Journal.'

Tom Schuckman  
email: tschuckman@aol.com                                                                                                              
Disabled Vietnam Veteran: 1968-70          
http://journals.aol.com/tschuckman/OldSoldierTomsJournal/                
"Am I therefore become your enemy,
because I tell you the TRUTH ? ---Galatians 4:16